13 - Problem

I woke up with a throbbing headache, at first not exactly knowing where it was from. But soon, some flashes of the previous night came back, though I didn't remember much.

I sighed and climbed out of bed anyways, maybe the worst feeling ever washing over me. Last night was amazing, but then the next day, I felt horrible again, all because we didn't manage to save Minho.

One good thing, I was working my own plan on saving Minho out. It would take a while and I was gonna wait for the right moment to go, but I would.

"Morning," I grumbled as I sat down, Cyra sitting down next to me. Crassus raised his eyebrows and Rye laughed under his breath.

"You two got something to explain me, Ladies." Crassus crossed his arms. "Where did four bottles of mine go?"

Cyra and I shared a look. "Uhm, well.."

"No need to deny," Rye added. "We all know."

I sighed and finally gladly took some food, eating happily.

"So where's Newt?" I questioned, a faint image of him helping me come back.

Rye and Crassus glanced at each other, which got me suspicious. Something was going on and just then I realized Thomas, Frypan, Jorge, and Brenda weren't there either, but maybe they were still asleep.

"Well?"

"They kind of left," Rye mumbled.

"To who knows where." Harriet looked down.

"Now that's great." Cyra sighed and stuffed her mouth with food while anger rose in me. I already was angry because of WICKED, but Newt, or any of them, daring to just leave, made it worse. Jorge didn't bother to say goodbye, Thomas didn't explain anything, and Brenda didn't let me help. And all of that made me feel a bit left alone.

"Now this seems like the perfect moment you two go explain what the hell happened in your past." I leaned back in my chair and looked at the siblings, who seemed a bit nervous.

"It's nothing that special," Rye said quickly.

"It's special enough for you guys to not tell me."

"She has a point," Cyra admitted. "Well, we got taken by WICKED. Immediately we noticed those weren't good people."

"So our little Cyra somehow managed to kick down all those guards and take a gun as a ten-year-old." Rye motioned at his sister.

"So I shot Rat Man," Cyra explained like it was the most normal thing in the world.

"That's why she asked about the scar," Rye added. "Then she escaped and I was left alone for.."

"Two months." Cyra finished. "He indeed was a troublemaker. Kept resisting, pranking doctors with sometimes painful things and sometimes funny, ruining and breaking stuff, screaming how bad WICKED actually was to other kids.. yeah."

I stared at Rye, who always seemed like a very calm guy to me. He shrugged like it was nothing again, but his cheeks turned red, yet somehow I managed to notice it was a different reason than embarrassment.

"And then tried to escape, which worked. Found Cyra back again and lived our amazing lives." He explained.

"What else?"

"What?" Rye's face dropped.

"There's something else." I pointed out. "The look on your face says it all." 

He tapped his foot. "There's nothing else that's important for anyone here."

"Then say it," I ordered. "Come on, I told you stuff too."

Rye sighed. "I wasn't a rebel on my own." He hinted.

I scrunched my eyebrows. "More context, please?"

"And I didn't escape alone." Rye paused. "Well, I did escape alone, but we were trying to escape."

"Who's we?"

"Just say it, come on, Rye!" Cyra sighed, making it clear it wasn't that big of a deal who Rye was trying to escape with.

Rye shook his head. "Everyone's still pissed about that."

"I wouldn't blame them!" Cyra threw her hands in the air. "You escaped and they didn't, which for them meant to get attacked by this Griever."

Rye raised his eyebrows. "How do you know about that?"

"I know every damn thing about WICKED," Cyra answered proudly.

"Who was it, Rye?"

He stared at the ground. "Minho and Gally.."

I gasped loudly. "You were friends with Minho and Gally?" I yelled out, almost excited.

"Yeah, until I escaped and they didn't," Rye repeated. "We were planning on that for weeks. Minho had asked you and the others to come with us, but y'all refused."

Then my face paled. "So Minho and Gally got attacked by a Griever as punishment?"

"And you all had to watch, yes," Cyra confirmed.

My eyes widened. "Oh."

"Need details?"

"No. Thanks." I bit my lip and looked at Rye, who looked unsure. "What is it?"

"I think Minho might remember me too." He talked slowly.

"Really?" My mouth almost fell open. "But then you could be friends again!" I paused and lowered my voice. "Well, when we get him back."

"I don't think he wants to be friends." Rye sniffed. "And I also don't think he started fighting me just because of what he saw happening between us." He mumbled the last words.

"Was he still angry at you for what you did?"

"I think." Rye shrugged.

I leaned my head against my elbow and fidgeted with my other hand, mind spinning with questions.

"I'm suspecting being subject number one means something." I blurted out. All of them gave me confused glances. "I remember everyone's number from dreams I've got, and Teresa was A1," I explained. "Called The Traitor."

"Yeah, well, but I'm not a traitor." Rye defended.

"I guess you are to Minho and maybe Gally too," I responded. "Because you left them."

He took a breath. "Makes sense."

"A little." I bit my lip. "But it's weird... Though if you were part of group C," I started. "That means two subjects were missing in their group, and I think we would've never escaped if Teresa didn't come up in the Box. She brought those serums, which saved Alby for a while, and Thomas too. Without him in the end, we didn't escape. And she helped built the maze together with Thomas, that's what Thomas said."

"Jane.." Cyra sighed. "Share the thoughts going on in your smart brain more often please.." She stopped talking, yet her mouth didn't close. "Only the smart things, though. Don't tell me anything else that's going on in there."

"Kiddos," Crassus spoke up before I could reply. "Maybe this group C isn't that important."

I didn't reply to him either and turned to Rye. "Do you remember any kids from that group?"

"Yeah." He seemed to be thoughtful for a second. "It was both boys and girls. Phil, Zane, Lucas, Ada, Emily, Nick.. that's all I remember."