✧ ˚ 28 · twenty-eight .

┌─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐

On the eve of Wanda's departure for her inaugural mission, the two friends found themselves gathered around the dining table. A Monopoly board dominated the centre, accompanied by a bowl of chips and a solitary beer for each of them.

"I just don't understand," Wanda began, her voice trailing off as she contemplated the game board.

Ava leaned back in her chair, surveying the colourful board with a thoughtful expression. "Monopoly is a ruthless game of strategy and luck. The key is to acquire properties, upgrade them, and bleed your opponents dry."

Wanda sighed, pushing a few strands of hair behind her ear. "But every time I start building something good, I land on someone else's property and end up bankrupting myself."

Ava chuckled, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "Welcome to the harsh realities of capitalism, my friend."

They shared a laugh before Ava reached for her beer, taking a thoughtful sip. "You know, it's a lot like life. Sometimes you're on a winning streak, and other times you're just trying to survive."

Wanda nodded, a wistful smile on her lips. "I guess you're right. It's just frustrating when the dice never seem to roll in your favour."

Ava raised an eyebrow playfully. "Ah, but that's where strategy comes in. You need to make the most of your resources and plan ahead. And sometimes, a well-timed 'Chance' card can turn the tide."

Wanda studied the board again, her gaze intent. "So, what's your strategy for this game?"

Ava's grin turned mischievous. "Oh, you'll see. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve."

The game pressed on, the room resonating with their shared laughter and easy-going banter. The rattle of dice, the shuffle of cards, and intermittent sighs of defeat or triumphant cheers composed the evening's harmonious background. Amidst the spirited game, the sound of approaching footsteps echoed from the corridor.

Steve and Natasha stepped into the room, their eyes falling on the teenagers engrossed in the game. Steve's gaze settled on Ava's beer, his tone carrying a hint of amusement. "What do you think your dad would say if he saw you with that?"

Ava looked up, her expression nonchalant as she met Steve's gaze. "Haven't heard much from him lately, doubt he'd even notice," she quipped, her eyes rolling playfully as she reached for the dice.

Her casual response earned a chuckle from Steve, and Natasha's lips curled into a knowing smile. "Well, let's hope he doesn't decide to surprise you then," Natasha remarked with a playful glint in her eyes.

Ava shrugged, a small smirk on her lips. "If he does, I'll just tell him I'm preparing for a future as a professional Monopoly player."

Wanda joined in the teasing, her laughter blending with the light-hearted atmosphere. "Yeah, Ava's got a strategic mind when it comes to Park Place and Boardwalk."

Ava raised an eyebrow in mock seriousness. "You just wait, one day you'll see my name in the headlines: 'Monopoly World Champion.'"

Ava's focus shifted as she observed Steve's stroll toward the refrigerator. He reached for a water bottle with an effortless grace and then settled comfortably onto one of the sofas. Simultaneously, Natasha gracefully positioned herself on the arm of the adjacent sofa, her attention dancing between the interactions of the two young women.

"Lagos, huh? I've heard the weather is pretty nice there this time of year," Ava quipped, playfully tossing the dice onto the board.

Natasha's brow arched in a mockingly stern expression as she responded, "How did you come by that information? The mission details are classified."