A New Start

One Year Later-

There was no exit, no surviving the death trap I was secluded to. Moans filled the air surrounding the roof I was trapped on; I was lost in a sea of monsters with no escape. Pulling my chocolate locks into a tight bun I prepared myself for the only was this could end.

I fight or I die.

"You can do this Kate, just focus" My father whispered from my right side "Block everything out and focus on your breathing".

My sight was focused on the red target meters ahead of me, my grip tightened around the thick handle of the hatchet. The weapon was heavy against the weight of my small arms as I took a deep inhale, pulling the tool behind my head and level with my ears. I exhaled while hauling the Axe forward as hard as my weak body would let me, in a swift motion it hauled through the aur with brute force, but I kept my eyes glued shut.

"Open your eyes" His voice grinned under the silence. When I did I locked in the axe, impaled directly in the middle of the target.

"I did it" I was enclosed with glee as I launched myself into dad's arms.

"Just focus" Whispering to myself as I thought over every skill my father had taught me, his voice reassuring me in my head.

My breaths were harsh as I tried to cling to every piece of courage to fight. I didn't make it this far to die on a roof, I wouldn't let that be my end. Under the low growls the beat of music echoed through the scene, it wasn't far, but the corpses were changing their direction.

But I didn't question luck. This was my chance.

My legs attached to the ladder in an instant, slowly lowering myself until my boots hit the concrete. I jumped the last few feet landing on the rubber soles, the path was almost clear excluding the few stragglers still waiting to make me their lunch,

My hands twisted to my waist, unsheathing two small knifes tucked into my combat belt. I inhaled holding the two above my head and exhaled letting them fly through the air until I hit my target. The silver sliced through two skulls with a disturbing crunch, my leg twisted into the abdomen of another monster creeping to my side until it was thrown back onto the road.

I ran after retrieving my knifes, running until my thighs were burning and my feet blistering in the immense heat. I didn't stop until my boots hit the clearing of a forest, leaning against the truck of a tree while air entered my lungs again. Running was a necessity in this world, it was all I seemed to do, nowhere was safe anymore.

But I couldn't help thinking who helped me, there was no way that was a coincidence "Hey, you okay there miss?" The voice was deep but something about it was familiar, a voice I hadn't heard in a while, but I couldn't put my finger on it "I'm not going to hurt you, I drew the biters away with the music".

Turning slowly I kept my grip around my knife, the other on a pistol tucked into my waistband. The world now wasn't safe, and the people were worse; Desperation causes a change in people, you would do almost anything to stay alive.

The moment my eyes met the familiar hazel irises I froze, my hands shaking while I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

"Katie?" My uncle was stood in front of me, his face similar to mine figuring out if I was real or an illusion. He looked almost the same as the last time I saw him apart from the wider, muscly frame. The short dark hair now greying from the roots and the same eyes as my father.

"Uncle Matt?" I was sobbing silently, my feet sinking into the damp soil as I stayed frozen.

His huge arms opened wide as I ran like a bull with a red flag "I got you" he whispered as his hands cradled my head as I bawled into his chest, gripping his camo vest "Why the hell are you alone Kate" his voice trembled as if he knew the answer but didn't want to accept it and all it took was a small shake of my head for his tears to join.