Connections

Holding the small device in my hands I couldn't control my nerves, what if he didn't answer and we were back to square one?. I took a moment to compose myself before holding the button down to talk "Matt. It's Katie, I found your backpack".

I glanced towards Carter, we both knew this was a long shot or if it would even work properly, Matt could be miles away by now.

We waited for about an hour before we both decided it was time to start heading back, we only had a few hours left of daylight and we couldn't risk getting caught in the darkness. My hand never loosened around the walkie the whole way home, it only had two bars of battery left so I left a short message each hour.

By the time we made it home my hope was slowly diminishing each time the only answer I got was silence, Carter tried to reassure me that it was just the distance, but I couldn't stop the deep feeling that he was in trouble.

I carried myself towards the showers while Carter headed to our room, I needed time alone to collect my thoughts before I could even try to sleep. Although we finally had a clue, I felt no where near closer to seeing him again and it was breaking me.

I dressed in a pair of leggings and oversized t-shirt before finally heading back; My pace was slow as I took in the calm scenery, tugging on a cigarette.

"That thing will kill you, you know" Andrew joined me, copying my pace. I turned my head and sent him a sarcastic smirk.

"Every time I step outside I could die, least this is my choice".

"Fair point. How was your trip today?" Andrew was a nice man, his presence reminded me of my fathers in a way. His calming energy could easily relax you by just speaking to him.

"My uncle was definitely there; We found a backpack with his dog tag and long-range walkie, but he hasn't answered yet" I sighed while throwing the cigarette butt to the ground, not missing the disapproving look from Andy.

"I'm sure he will, keep the faith Kiddo" he sent me a small smile before heading back to the other building.

Carter was laid across the bed when I finally made my way back to the room, half asleep while his head rested on the back of his forearm. I stared at him for a while, he was my hope in this world, and he didn't realise how special he was to me. I've never connected to anyone the way I have with him and even after all the pain this world caused me, I knew I was falling in love with him.

"You going to keep staring or join me" He opened one eye, smirking as he watched me leaning against the doorframe.

"I was thinking stare a little longer Lucifer" I returned his smile with a wink.

Carter jumped from the bed and in an instant I was over his shoulder as he carried me to the bed, I shrieked in his arms but that just made his laughter deepen. He laid me down gently before leaning over me, his arms propped up next to my shoulders "I think I need a new nickname".

"I think it's perfect. You have a death stare, and you always look like you want to kill someone" The boy smirked but nodded.

A gasp slipped when his lips drifted to my neck, his touch drifting across my skin until he reached a sensitive spot below my ear. I sighed when he pulled away looking back in my eyes with a cunning smirk across his face.

"Why did you stop?" I pouted my lips to him.

"You told me I have a death stare" He shrugged. Carter knew he was teasing me, and he was loving every minute of my despair.

"I'm sorry" I whispered pulling his face back to mine until our lips finally met, his kiss was gentle until I parted my lips to give him full access.

His movements were tender and swift as his hands explored every inch of my body, his touch like fire against my cold skin, scorching me from deep within. I had no memory of ever wanting anything more than Carter in this moment, the world was a mess, but being wrapped up against him made everything else fade away, a bubble where it was just us two and nothing else was important.

Carter dozed off first, his body still wrapped around mine as he snored lightly against my chest. I couldn't help but feel lucky as I stared at him, I was in pure heaven.

That was until the bubble was burst, a quiet beeping echoing from my bag and followed by a hushed voice.

"Katie?".

Edited