Just Jump

War was inevitable.

My feet inched across the mahogany stairs as I made my way to the group, my knives already armed in each hand – not that they would be much use against a bullet.

My uncle was knelt at the window, his rifle balancing between his shoulder and the windowpane as he unloaded bullets towards the forest. Ramon was perched at the opposite side, the same stance as Matt as he dodged bullets that were piercing the thin wooden walls.

"What the fuck is going on" I managed to shout over the gunfire, just loud enough for them to hear me.

My uncle didn't loose shape, his eyes glued to the impending doom "Multiple men heading our way, most armed up with guns".

"Most these dicks can't aim; all the bullets are hitting the house. They are trying to scare us" Ramon added, his hoarse voice back. Guess people trying to kill you really shakes the grief from you.

"Your dad teach you to shoot?" Matt shouted before swiftly moving his head just as a bullet slammed through the space.

"Yeah. Where do you want me?".

"There's a rifle just below the stairs, a box of ammunition next to it. Go upstairs, stay hidden. If they get close, you run!" Matt turned for a second, sending me a scared stare.

I didn't stay to hear anything else; I grabbed the gun exactly where my uncle said it was. Loading it as I ran back up the stairs and into one of the bedrooms, I used the back of the gun to slam into the window; shards splashing everywhere as I shielded my face with my arm.

My right eye rested on the scope as I searched the darkness, I tried following the sounds of bullets, but they were echoing from every inch of the night.

A gleam of metal caught my eye first, the silver emerging from behind the stump of a tree. My breathing stilled as I focused; A tanned man soiled in dirt rounded the tree, a small pistol held firmly in his grip. Inhaling harshly, my aim directed between his eyes, and I let the bullet fly; The gun retracting sharply against my shoulder as I turned my head. I didn't watch but I knew my bullet would hit him, just because this world forced us to kill the living, didn't mean I should enjoy it.

"No fucking way" My anger grew like wildfire as I moved my aim to the next victim. A revolver held in one hand while his other was encased in a thick, white bandage. The same disturbing smirk plastered across his face as the one before I stabbed his knuckles.

I aimed for his heart; I didn't want him to endure an easy death. I wanted it to hurt so I took a deep breath and pulled the trigger for a second time, the bullet grazing the air before sinking into his body. The man dropped to the floor clutching his chest as thick blood oozed through the gaping wound – I could almost hear his cries over the ongoing war but now it was moving closer.

The group consisted of almost thirty men, running straight towards us, guns blazing as they filled almost every inch of the house in shells. My body dived to the floor as the shots reached me, dodging every bullet except one. I hissed in pain as my shoulder was grazed, the thick metal shell scraping my skin, it wasn't deep, but enough to soak my shirt as I pushed pressure against it.

I pulled myself through the window on the opposite side of the bedroom and balanced myself on the small roof that covered the back patio. There was a figure below me crouched against the wall, a pistol in his hand as he attacked the oncoming herd.

The first thing I noticed was the mid length dark hair, the dark cargo bottoms shielding him from the night and when the wind gushed his hair, the small tattoo behind his ear.

"Carter" My whisper was carried by the wind, just loud enough to reach him as he jumped around trying to locate my voice and it wasn't until he looked up he did "There's too many, we need to run".

The man moved directly below me "If you were on solid ground that would be easy, get down" he held his arms out to me.

I attempted to measure the distance from the roof to the floor and I was certain from this height one of us would break a bone "Ill crush you if I jump".

"Just jump woman" Carter demanded; his eyes fuelled with rage as he urged me down.

I didn't hesitate; we didn't have time for that. I crawled on my stomach backwards until my legs were hanging over the edge, my shoulder crying in pain as I lowered myself "Here goes nothing" I urged myself before finally letting go.

Before I could reach the harsh soil, large hands wrapped around my waist as my body was thrown against his. The force of my weight pulling us to the floor with a hard thump, I heard him grunt before pulling us both up.

"We've really got to stop meeting like this Lucifer" My laugh slowed as I brushed myself down.

Carter let a laugh slip unexpectedly, the first one I'd ever heard from him as he pulled us away from the farmhouse. I noticed Crystals figure running in the distance, a dozen corpses on her trail as she ran from the warzone "We need to help her".

He looked desperate as he looked towards me and back to her but nodded, pulling me in her direction. We were a breath away when his arms wrapped around me, pulling me backwards and I didn't understand why until I heard a scream pierce the air.

Through the darkness I could see the dead piling her, there jaws clenching across every inch of her skin as she screamed in pain. The sound was deafening, soul crushing as we watched her be ripped apart "No. No" Was all I could cry as I let Carter pull me away.

His strength pulling my weight away from the danger and towards the dark forest, but all I could hear was her screams.

Edited