I miss you

The darkness was still haunting me when I finally ventured outside, the only light across the small landing of our building was the moonlight. I hadn't managed a minute of sleep since seeing him, my mind racing over every possibility.

My mother once told me my ability to overthink would be my downfall and she was right. This was torture.

I sat myself on the concrete step as I lit a cigarette between my lips, watching as the waves of smoke carried through the air silently. Late at night the sanctuary was dead silent, the only sounds coming from outside the walls or guards pacing to bed, it was peaceful.

"Got a spare?" Instantly recognising the boys voice I froze, letting the smoke I was holding free before handing him one. "Before you say anything, what you saw earlier wasn't what you thought it was" he added, sitting so close to me our thighs swiped against each other.

My mind pondered on what to say, he could have been lying but deep down I knew he wasn't "You can do what you want, its not my business no more" My eyes were glued to the burning stick in my hand.

I wanted so bad to talk to him and now he was here I hadn't a clue what to say, my insecurities were overbearing any thoughts, and I was reeling.

"Don't be stupid Kaite, it is your business" I knew he was looking at me, but I couldn't build the courage to turn my head "I'm not going to apologise for what I said, I meant it. Your life matters to me more than anyone else in the world and I hate the fact it doesn't mean that much to you".

Sliding my hand, I intertwined our fingers, slowly turning my head up to look at him. Carter's hazel eyes were burning under the dim lights, his stare never dropping as he gripped my hand tighter. "I don't want you to apologise, you were right. I don't want to die, I've just always been this way, putting people before myself" We stared at each other as he thought over my words, his thumb swiping a single tear trailing my cheek.

"I miss you" I whispered, pushing closer until our foreheads were resting against each other.

"I miss you too" Carter closed the final space, pressing his lips against my own while I tilted my head to give him more access. My heartbeat was growing intense when he deepened the kiss while pulling me closer to him, I couldn't help but smile into his touch, my heart feeling full for the first time in months.

"Katie" A voice broke our trance in the distance "You out here?".

Carter's hands retreated to his sides respectively just as my uncle appeared from the far side of the building "Over here" I replied through the distance, giving the boy in front of me one last smile before standing up "Meet you upstairs?" He nodded.

My uncle stood, looking between the two of us with his brow slightly raised, I couldn't stifle the laughter as my face reddened. When I turned around Carter was already gone, leaving just us two.

"I saw that by the way" he nudged my shoulder.

I stood still, my cheeks growing even redder at the thought of being caught by my uncle "You going to give me the talk or something?" I laughed awkwardly "Because dad already did that, and I would rather jump off the roof than do that again".

"I'm happy for you" My head twisted in confusion. My uncle had been just as protective of me as my father the moment I started school. When I was fifteen, they threatened a boy because he tried to hold my hand, and now he was telling me he was happy for me.

"This world Katie, it's a mess" Matt snuggled me into his side as we stood by the doors "You've lost so much that you shouldn't have had to, and I would do anything to shield you from the shit this world holds but I can't. But if you've found someone that makes you happy, I'm happy. And I'm sure your dad would be too" The mention of my dad as well as Matt's words had me close to tears.

Part of me was happy my parents weren't here to see the world as it was, but the other desperately wanted them to hold me and tell me everything would be okay.

"I love you" I muffled into his shirt as he held me close.

"I love you too bug".

When we strolled back through the building everyone was still sleeping silently. I hugged Matt once more before heading back to my own room with a permanent smile written across my face.

"Room for me?" I whispered, seeing the handsome boy laid across my bed. He simply nodded moving over slightly and opening his arms to me. My head rested on his bare chest, leaving my hand pulling his waist to close any distance between us. Carter's hands smoothed down my hair while he left a lingering kiss against my forehead.

There was rarely a time in this world I felt truly safe, but now wrapped in his arms I felt secure.

"What did your uncle say?" he murmured resting his head against my own.

"We got caught" I silenced my laugh by pushing my face into his chest "But he's fine, says he is happy if I am" I looked up to him.

"Are you" Carter was nervous, his chest rising as he stared at me for a response.

I replied the only way that felt right, my lips connected to his and leaving a lingering kiss across his plump lips. Pouring my emotions through my actions and showing him how happy he made me.

"For the first time in a while. I really am".

Edited