Losing battle

I stared at the man I used to call my father; he wasn't close to the man I once knew. The man I loved would never make someone beg for their life on their knees, he wasn't a murderer. His brown eyes that were once full of light were now dark, his face thinner with a thicker beard.

"Katie. We have to go" Carter's hand gripped mine pulling me further, but I couldn't take my eyes off him. "I promise we can deal with this but let me get you out of here first" I nodded reluctantly and held my knives back in front of me.

There were corpses everywhere, their souls now inhabiting the place we once called home. My anger was surging as I plunged my blade through any that ventured to close to us, I let a war scream rip as their skulls deteriorated under my force. Each one that I killed wore my father's face, I wanted him to pay for what he did, but I knew I could do that here without getting myself killed in the process.

I knew this world could change you, it changed me. But I didn't let it take my morals. Yes I've killed but only those who took our safety, and my father would have never done that before.

We neared the back of the field, the only thing standing between us, and safety was the metal fence. Everywhere I looked a monster was snarling at me, snapping its rotting teeth in my direction. Carter went first, pulling himself to the top of the fence while reaching his hand out for mine. I launched my foot into a withering chest, forcing a herd of them backwards before I latched my grip to Carter.

The boy pulled my weight with ease and help me to the side of safety.

But my breathing grew fast, too fast. I couldn't breathe, my hands were gripping my chest as pain seared through every inch of my body.

"Baby" Carter cupped my face "Look at me Katie". I stared into his hazel eyes, trying to control my breathing but I was fighting a losing battle. "You're having a panic attack. Copy me, okay" he took deep and slow exhales, holding his hand over my chest as I tried to do the same, but my eyes were filling with tears each time I tried.

We dropped to our knees on the floor while he synced my breathing with his. Slowly my panting calmed and my head dropped to his chest as I let the tears soak his shirt, he held me the whole time whispering that it was going to be okay. But I knew it wasn't, the man who showed me how to beat the world is the one who took my safety away. How would it ever be okay?

Carter jumped up quick, pushing me behind his stance as a figure jumped down from the fence. I knew it was him, but I couldn't bring myself to look. Instead I lent over with my hands on my knees and emptied the contents of my stomach.

"Let me talk to her. I can explain this" My father argued, but Carter shielded me from him.

"You just killed the man who saved your daughter, blew up her home and you want to speak to her. Go to hell or I'll put you there myself" My boyfriend bellowed back; his pistol held up aiming towards him. I knew he wouldn't shoot without my approval, and I really wanted to give him that.

"Who the hell are you to tell me I can't talk to my daughter" My father copied him, pulling a gun out and aiming it at the man I loved. I rushed in front of him, I wouldn't let him take anything else from me even if it killed me.

"Stop" I cried "I'll talk to you" Carters hand intertwined with mine.

"Are you sure" He squeezed my hand and I nodded, turning back to Thomas.

"But not here, there's a small house by the lake a few miles north" he tried to walk forward but I held my hand out "But you're not travelling with us. You can limp there for all I care" Thomas tried to argue but I shook my head and walked away with Carter.