War - Part One

It had been a whole two months and we had heard nothing, no signs, no warnings.

The way today could have ended had multiple possibilities most of them ended with me surrounded by my people, my family, my fiancé. The real scenario was something I never expected a day that would change our lives forever we just didn't know it yet.

The heat was pounding, but I welcomed it, I'd rather the sun over snow any day of the week. Especially when we were out scavenging, the weather didn't change much for the dead apart from being able to spot them easier which was definitely a plus.

We decided it was safe enough to leave the camp, we couldn't live in fear forever of the unexpected.

"Catch" Carter threw something to me, a mischievous grin plastered across his face. We were checking a few local shops that weren't on the map while the others were checking a farm nearby. I caught the thin material swifty, holding the thin white t-shirt in my palms with bright pink, bold writing "Hot stuff" The handsome boy found it hilarious, but I scoffed, throwing it back aiming for his face.

"I wouldn't be seen dead in that" I hid my smile as I flipped him off making my way through the store.

"Sure thing, Hot stuff" was the last thing I heard before I made it through the storerooms at the back of the shop, the place was huge, but surprisingly empty.

I made my way through the shelves slowly, my knife still held tightly in my palm as I searched through what felt like hundreds of boxes. A rustling at the far end of the room put my guard on high alert, my hands held in front of me and the grip on my knife even tighter.

Carter's voice echoed from the next room causing me to jump back with a thud "You good back there?" I swore under my breath as I regained my balanced and shouted back to let him how I was okay.

Little did I know I wasn't, a hand reached around from behind me; fingers digging into my cheek as a palm flattened across my mouth silencing my screams. I was being pulled backwards and not by the dead, the grip was strong like a man, and I knew exactly who.

My body was shoved against the brick wall, but not loud enough for Carter to hear. I groaned in pain as my back brushed against the hard rock and when I opened my eyes my father was staring back at me like a mad man. His brows furrowed as sweat rolled down his frown lines, a black hood masking him whilst his gloved hands stayed firm across my mouth.

"My beautiful daughter" he hushed, running his free hand over my crown as I tried to twist away from his touch. His touch made me feel tainted, as if his darkness would take over me if I was in his hold long enough. My breathing was fast as my chest heaved, twice I'd tried to kill this man and I knew whatever he was here for wouldn't be good.

"I'm not going to hurt you" Thomas whispered even as his fingers still cut into my cheek "I'm here to give you a choice. You was right when you said I would suffer knowing everyday that my family was out there, and I was suffering but I realised I don't need to be alone" His smile was sinister, his eyes unrecognisable as if he wasn't mentally there anymore "You are going to join me. Me and my people".

At this point my anger was peaking, my teeth clenched down hard enough to hurt him through the thick leather shielding his hands. But I didn't shout to get my boyfriends attention instead I whispered; I didn't know if the man was armed, but I wouldn't risk the boy I love getting hurt.

"Over my dead body you psychopath".

Thomas laughed silently "I thought that too until I realised it doesn't have to be that way, I just had to find your weakness, you have a lot of them. That boyfriend out there" he gestured to the door "Melanie, it was nice to see you found her. And your uncle"