Trust

A week had passed in a haze; Most of the time was spent on foot, trying to find any sign of our missing group and so far we came up sparse.

Last night we managed to find a car with the keys hidden beneath the seat – I still can't fathom neither of us knew how to hot wire a car in the apocalypse.

"Can I please drive" My pout was evident towards Carter, my feet slouched against the dashboard. He was finally comfortable around me, not open, but at least he spoke more than a few words now.

"No" The reply was harsh and blunt "You don't even know how to drive Katie" He sent me a subtle smirk before tugging the last inch of his cigarette.

"Trial and error my friend. Now's a perfect time to try" I pulled a protein bag from my pack and split it to give to the brunette.

"I don't feel like dying today".

I meant to say "I've got to learn some time" but the words came out gibberish as I shoved the whole bar into my mouth.

"You are disgusting" Carter looked at me disturbed but let out a small laugh, that was until his eyes targeted something in the distance "You see that?".

I followed his gesture until I landed on the target. It looked like a school, but the fence was covered by thick sheets of metal blocking our view to the inside, but behind was a small cloud of smoke drifting through the blue skies from inside the gates.

I internally rolled my eyes "We don't have much luck with schools".

"You see that smoke, its small like a campfire" Carter paused to check I was looking before pointing back to the building "And them sheets of metal are new, that's smart. They are blocking the dead from seeing inside".

"What are you getting at Lucifer" I flicked his head to halt his rambling.

"That's a camp" For the first time in days I felt hope and the first thing itching my mind was my uncle. I knew if he noticed this place the first thing he would do is see if I were here.

"They could be here?" My hand grabbed his out of instinct, squeezing it gently and I expected him to pull away but instead he welcomed my touch.

We both agreed it would be smarter to carry on foot, the engine would be heard immediately and if they thought we were attacking they could fire on site, if they had the gunpower. With the advantage of being hidden and unexpected we could scope the place first, make sure we weren't walking into a death trap.

"Ready?" Carter asked before opening the car door "And please. Don't do anything stupid".

I saluted him, climbing out a few seconds after him "Yes sir".

But my smile completely wiped when I heard the click of a gun. My hands were raised when I slowly turned to see a man towering over my friend, a pistol denting his temple just as I felt the same cold metal press to mine.

"You touch her and ill kill you" Carter hissed to the stranger behind me, I shook my head desperately knowing if he made one wrong move his life would be over in an instant.

The man holding him captive was slightly taller than him, his build larger too. His dark skin was shinning with sweat as he pushed the weapon deeper into my friend's head causing him to wince.

"Who are you?" A deep voice brushed my ear, his face barely inches behind my own.

These men weren't like most people I'd encountered on the road. Normally the first thing they would do is size you up if you were a woman, see if you could be of any use to them. But these men didn't do that once, the darker man barely even looking in my direction. They didn't seem dangerous or vicious, they looked protective.