Making Enemies

Two weeks later.

The metal of my knife tapped against the thick glass, ringing the dinner bell for the dead trapped inside the small grocery store. Crystal stood next to me, readying herself for the inevitable fight.

Over the past weeks we formed a friendship, seeing as she was the only one in the group close to my age and actually spoke. Carter was silent, the same for Ramon who was still mourning his girlfriend.

"My bets on two" I sent the girl a snarky smirk.

"I'm betting the last chocolate bar in your bag there's three".

We waited a short moment before the dead slouched against the window, brushing their moulding teeth against the window as they tried to reach us. We opened the door slowly letting them stumble out, my fists clenched around the first one's shirt, giving me the momentum I needed to slam my knife through its eye socket. Crystal aimed for the next, forcing her metal bat through its skull, the corpse fell to the floor, but it wasn't until she landed one last blow, its skull crunched across the concrete. Blood splattering across her denim trousers as she turned her face in disgust.

"I win" I laughed before we entered the shop, her only reply was a slight mumble that sounded like "Asshole".

The shop was a dump, mouldy food and boxes thrown across every inch of the floor. Most the shelves were tipped over while the ones standing were bare. "I don't think we're going to find much" Crystal whispered.

"Worth a look, we're here now" I let a sharp sigh as I roamed the empty building "We can't keep doing this though" She nodded; I knew she was feeling the strain like we all were.

We'd been skipping from place to place, never staying more than a day or two. Every time we found somewhere safe the dead came rolling over our arses. We were running low on rations; our hunger was at a all time high and with winter slowly creeping up on us we needed a place to hold down otherwise we wouldn't make it through the season.

"There's got to be somewhere that's safe".

"And if there is, I'm sure we will find it" She replied, shoving a few cans into her bag.

We managed to scavenge a few cans of food and bandages; our hope for this place was zero but this was better than nothing. The rest of the group were hold up at a small farm a mile from the town, so me and Crystal decided it was worthwhile to look around. Matt hated the idea, wanting to protect me but I managed to convince him I was fully capable of checking a few shops.

Carter and Ramon were slipping, we would be blind not to notice. Carter hadn't been the same since the night of the school; Physically he was fine, he kept watch while we slept but other than that he was like glass; slowly cracking until he eventually breaks apart.

The boy was plaguing my mind until I noticed two shadows outside the door, their hands brushing the glass to see through the build up of dirt. "Crystal get down" I whispered while unsheathing my knife from my waist "Get to the back room now" We both stayed low as we crept towards the back of the shop.

The room was small, but from what I could tell it was a staff room. A round table situated in an open plan kitchen. The chairs were thrown across the room in different directions, at the edge of the room there was another door. Glass windows either side looking into an office, an oak wooden desk wedged in the middle.

"What do we do? They are going to turn this place upside down" Crystal's voice was trembling, her hands gripped around her bat so tight her knuckles were turning white.

"Under the desk! If they are looking for supplies, that's the last place they would look" My adrenaline was rushing through me as I slid across the desk after the girl, squeezing my body into the small space underneath the desk, luckily we were both petite and managed to squash together.