Those we lost

One month later-

The harsh winter came around quicker than we expected, a bed of thin snow slowly setting along the field as the guards packed their tents to move inside the school building. Most of our runners were out looking for thicker clothes and blankets, but apparently even that was hard to find now, most places already scavenged so the only option was to head further out.

That's what me, Matt and Carter were tasked with, the three of us had spent the most time on the road and we were all healed up, so it made the most sense for us to work together.

Matt took the first shift driving while I laid myself across Carters lap in the backseats, his hands drifting through my thick locks as he gazed out of the window.

We pulled to a stop outside what used to be a shopping centre; It was a huge three-story building surrounded by an oversized carpark. Most the cars were left ajar with rotted corpses handing from the doors while the others silently limped between the vehicles.

"We go slow and don't split up; we don't know how many dead are in there" Matt ushered beside us as the two of us nodded, slinging our packs over our shoulders. We parked around the side of the building in case any other survivors were lurking around, most people would avoid larger places like this, but times were getting desperate. "Let's head through the back".

I saluted towards my uncle "Yes, Spartacus" which got me a small chuckle from Carter and a disapproving look from Matt.

The boys pried open the fire exit before carrying on inside. Matt walked in front whilst Carter walked behind, I knew they were trying to protect me, and they thought I was the weakest, but they were wrong.

A flashlight was held in one hand and a knife in the other as we made our way deeper into the centre. So far we hadn't seen any sign of the dead or living, but I didn't want to jinx it.

The main part of the mall was enormous, two escalators were positioned either side of a dried-out fountain, benches plastered around broken stalls. I tried to imagine this place before the apocalypse, families running around and exploring each shop, friends sat around the food stalls gossiping over school and boys. Looking at the deserted and broken ruins now, you would never see the light before all this.

My thoughts drifted to Ashley and Melanie, I wondered if somewhere they were thinking the same as me or if they had joined the dead like the majority of the population now.

"Hey, you okay?" Carter's fingers slid between mine breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yeah just thinking about the last time I was in a place like this" I smiled over my sadness, Carter knew, but he knew better than to push me.

"Last time I was in a place like this, Me and my sister were arguing over what to get my dad for his birthday. She got so angry she threw her slushie at my head" Carter grinned, and my heart warmed at the fact he trusted me enough to talk about his past with me.

I wrapped my arms around his waist "I'm guessing you went with your idea; you are stubborn as hell" he chuckled as he hugged me closer and nodded.

Matt wandered off to check a few clothing stores while the two of us headed to a furniture store, we were assigned to blankets. I tapped the window a few times for any sign of the dead, but none came.

"How does a place as big as this have no dead, I don't like this" I spoke to Carter as he pried the door open and looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"So you don't like the fact that we aren't surrounded by the dead, you are strange babe" I laughed at him but still something felt off.

"A place as big as this, would have been filled with people when the world went to shit. You're telling me they all just wondered off by themselves, something just doesn't feel right" Carter stopped at my heels and cupped the side of my face as his hazel eyes dug into mine.

"Sometimes we might just be lucky, and if something happens we will make it out. We always do" Nodding I pushed a gentle kiss on his lips before we started to search the shop.

The shop was fairly empty of any supplies, but we managed to scavenge a few duvets that were left on the show beds, Carter was laid on one of the king-size beds while I did most the work. I hatched a plan in my head. While his light breathing filled the silence I snuck around the bed, pulling the mattress upwards forcing him to roll on the floor.

My laughter was uncontrollable as I held my stomach, watching as his hard body collided on the floor with a thud.

"Really?" his fake annoyed voice echoed as he climbed back up and strutted towards me, I raised my hands in surrender, but he carried on, so I ran towards the back room chuckling to myself. To my luck, the door was jammed. When he reached me he closed me in, flattening both his hands on the door level with my head, a huge grin plastered across his face.

"It was an accident" I attempted my best innocent face and he melted, he lowered his head slowly until his height matched mine and slowly moved his lips towards my own. I smiled aching to feel his touch, but instead the door gave away. I fell back first, but Carter managed to wrap his hand around my waist and twist us, so his body took the fall.

When we landed I was flat on his chest, while his head was lolled back quietly laughing to himself "I told you I could catch you" I smiled at the memories flashing across my eyes.

"No way" we said in sync as we looked up to the storage cupboard we'd landed in, shelves were stocked with tins and jars of food, water bottles and first aid kits. "Told you we could get lucky" The handsome boy gleamed to me.

Maybe this day wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be.

Carter managed to find a trolley and started loading up the supplies while I kept watch at the door, my heel bouncing against the hard concrete. I couldn't shake the bad feeling no matter how lucky we got in this death hole. The food could feed our camp for weeks and that should be something to smile about but I couldn't.

"I'm going to find Matt, take the food to the car and ill meet you there" The boy wasn't happy about me going off on my own, but he knew I could protect myself and we both had walkies in case we got in a tight spot.

The calm centre was nothing to my nerves, my knife was still secure in my hands as I walked through rows of shops for any sign of my uncle. The place was deserted, some of the shops boarded up or the shutters still down, but most we empty. The only remainder was dirt and litter across the majority of the tiled floors. I almost reached the end of the mall when a small squeak sounded from underneath my boot, a bright yellow plastic barely visible underneath my shoe.

My breath caught in my throat as I stared at the rubber duck squished underneath my heel.

My baby brother. I thought about him every day, but actually holding something in my palm that meant so much to him brought me to tears, I could clearly picture his face lighting up the moment he saw one. That sweet smile that I adored.

"You okay bug?" My uncles voice startled me back into reality, I nodded slightly but shoved the toy into the pocket of my pack.

"Yeah I'm good. Let's go" I ordered abruptly, I was ready to get out of this place and go home.

But as I stepped back my ankle pushed against an invisible force, a translucent wire spreading across the floor. The moment my foot made contact shutters retracted on a few empty shops, a siren blaring across every inch of the hell hole. Hundreds of the dead piling from each corner and heading straight for us.

I knew this place was bad.

Edited