Ghost's from the past

Death is inevitable, pain is inevitable, but if I knew what was coming I would have ran before I saw it all.

A gun shot echoed through the night; my body instantly jumping from my sleep and running to the windows. A small group of our people were huddled in a circle on their knees, men with masks covering their faces stood surrounding them while they held guns to each of their skulls. The same group of people that still haunted my nightmares.

Carter left shortly after he gave me the necklace to go on watch but as my eyes scanned the crowd I couldn't find him; Andrew had his hands raised in front of him pleading with the leader.

My legs worked before my mind did; I thew a rifle over my shoulder and inched knives across my belt as I ran down the stairs. Andrew's eyes caught me first as I hid behind the door of the building before anybody else did, his head slowly shaking no as I snuck closer to the attackers.

My back was flat against the fence as I listened to the men threatening our group, my knees pulled to my chest tightly as I pulled the rifle from my shoulder.

"That first shot was a warning" The man's voice was familiar, but the deep anger made it unrecognisable "The next one goes in someone's head" I gripped the rifle tighter "All you need to do is give us the keys for your storage, we take your shit and go. It's simple really".

"I know men like you" Andrew argued as he held his head high, his voice calm as he stared the man down "I give you the key, you take our stuff. But you wont leave, either way blood will be shed".

"So be it" The man replied, loading his gun with a sharp click.

My body jumped out in an instant, aiming to the men behind the leader first. Bullet's ripped through their heads with chilling crunches until the only one left standing was the frontrunner, my breath was heavy as I inched closer keeping my aim directed at his head. The man stood still; he didn't even flinch when his men dropped to the ground dead, but the metal of his gun was still denting Andrew's head.

"Let them go and I'll let you live. That's the only option" I spat towards the masked man, but he didn't move, he just stared towards me.

"You really think there isn't more coming?" The man gestured to his dead friends scattered around the concrete "You should leave before they get here" He cocked his head, I couldn't see his features under the night sky, but I felt like I knew him.

"Katie, go" Andrew pleaded "Don't risk your life for me".

"You did for me" I added, firming my aim towards the man.

The ground rattled beneath us, a huge tornado of flames encasing the building which I once called home. My body flew forward scraping the concrete with a harsh blow, I could feel my skin burning as my legs collided with the ground. I pushed my arms forward to grab the rifle that had slipped my grip in the blast, but the man kicked it from my grasp, simply laughing as I stared up to him with anger burning in my eyes.

"You should have gone when you had the chance" He didn't hesitate before letting a bullet pierce the air, I squeezed my eyes closed waiting for the darkness to follow but nothing came.

When I opened my eyes, Andrew's lifeless body was collapsed across the floor as I let out a deafening scream, a bullet hole spewing blood through his forehead.

Everything was red, it was all I saw as the anger inside me swirled.

My body launched towards the killer, tackling him with all my weight until our bodies hit the cold floor. My punches were hard and repetitive, but he didn't hit back, he just laid there grunting each time my fist collided with his face.

"I'm going to kill you" I screamed as his nose cracked underneath my knuckles.

This man deserved each bit of pain, every single blow. He needed to suffer.

A pair of hands lifted me from the ground, my arms still forcing my fists forward to the pound of gore laying on the floor. I tried to fight against the weight, but I was out powered, my vision blurred as the tears started to soak my cheeks.

"Katie" The hands cupped my face, I knew it was Carter. I knew how his hands felt against my skin, the way his thumb always stroked across the freckles on my cheeks.

"Let me finish this" I cried "He killed him" I pointed to the man still on the ground, he was coughing, twisting to spit out a clot of blood that my fists had forced from his throat.

The pain through my hands was nothing compared to the pain of seeing Andrew die.

"We need to go. The explosion attracted every deadhead in the area, this place is gone" His hazel eyes pleaded with mine.

"What about the people, the kids? Matt?" I managed through tears; Andrews family was here; I couldn't hold myself together at the thought of them left alone.

"When those people breached the fences, Andrew sent them out on the buses. They are safe, Matt will meet us" I nodded, Andrew was a good man, he didn't deserve this ending.

The dead were piling through our home, their flaming bodies limping towards us through the building that was still alight. I slung my rifle back over my shoulder, grabbing a pair of knives from my waist.

This would be a fight to survive, it always was.

"Katie" The masked man grunted as we walked past him, and I froze my spot. He used the fence to pull his weak body up, leaning against the wood for support.

"Talk to her again and ill be the one that kills you" Carter pushed forward, holding his knife against the mans jugular. The man nodded but his hands moved to the mask, slowly removing the material as his eyes glued to mine.

A lump grew in my throat as I recognised each feature, my hand covering my mouth from the bile that was slowly burning my throat.

"Dad?".

Edited