42 - The Archers' Duel

Melinoe stared at the woman with widened eyes. That voice! That long, luscious brown hair and those warm, blue eyes! It was, without a doubt, her mother. Persephone.

Persephone's eyes brightened up as she heard Melinoe speak. Both of them quickly rushed towards the other, wrapping themselves into a strong hug.

"I missed you so much, my baby." Persephone widely smiled as tears pooled in her eyes. Finally, she had been reunited with her beloved daughter.

"I missed you too, mom." Melinoe lightly smiled as her own eyes became watery.

The two of them stood there for a moment in each other's embrace, simply enjoying being with their loved one. It had felt like so long since they had last seen the other.

"How did you find me?" Melinoe asked.

"I got a tip from an old friend of mine." Persephone smiled.

"An old friend...?" Melinoe furrowed her brow as she thought of who could have possibly known about her whereabouts, and then suddenly realization struck. "Do you know Hilga?!"

"Yes, I do know...Hilga." Persephone giggled. "But enough about me. Are you ok, my dear daughter? I've been so worried. Why didn't you return to your father?"

"I...well, I was trapped." Melinoe replied. "I'm free now, and...I was going to go soon, and then dad crossed a line! And..."

Melinoe frowned as Nikolas' words resurfaced once again in her mind.

They were for all of you.

Saying that it didn't bother her was a flat out lie. It bothered her. It bothered her a lot. She couldn't help but continue replaying the scene in her mind.

"I can tell something is wrong, honey." Persephone gently put her hand on Melinoe's shoulder. "Let's find somewhere to sit and you can go through the story."

So they found somewhere to sit, and Melinoe told Persephone about everything. From being released from her prison of the lamp, to traveling with the Xeno crew, to the pursuit and murder of Sisyphus, and to the arrival of Delphi.

She then explained the events that had occurred since they had arrived into the city, including Nikolas' and Era's (Athena's) departure. And while she never explicitly stated it, Persephone could tell how she felt about the man.

"I see." Persephone nodded, a sly grin appearing on her face. "You really like this boy, don't you~?"

"Mom!" Melinoe cried out, her face red.

Persephone chuckled. "I want to meet him."

Melinoe frowned once more. "But he left. And he hates my guts."

"I don't think that." Persephone interjected. "When people are angry, they say things they don't mean. I think he was overwhelmed with what had happened. Do you know the connection between Athena and Medusa?"

"I don't." Melinoe shook her head. "Athena said she's the one who cursed Medusa. I don't know anything other than that. You do?"

"Athena and I have talked before." Persephone stated. "Medusa was a priestess of Athena. At least, until Athena found her committing intimate acts with Poseidon in her temple."

"And she cursed Medusa because of that?" Melinoe asked. 'What would she do if I took Nikolas...? Wait, not the time!'

"Yes." Persephone nodded. "Poseidon is her greatest rival, and Athena herself is a virgin goddess. It was like she had been doubly backstabbed."

"Oh..." Melinoe muttered.

"Makes a little more sense." Persephone continued. "I, personally, didn't agree with it. But don't forget that many gods and goddesses have a different viewpoint. I am not saying to excuse them, but to understand."