54 - Worries Of The Worthless

Artemis stared down Apollo, giving her brother a fierce look. His appearance here, at this time, could mean nothing good.

"I just want to talk." Apollo said with a bright smile and a shrug of his shoulders.

"I think we both know there's more to that." Artemis narrowed her eyes.

"You got me." Apollo raised his arms up in a mock surrender. "I'm here for the hunt as well."

"As well?" Artemis questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, for this 'Nikolas' Zeus wants dead." Apollo replied. "Trying to get into my bastard father's good graces, you know."

Artemis narrowed her eyes at him, trying to play off her true reason she was here. "Yes...you know I do love a good hunt."

Artemis brought out her bow, starting to fiddle with it so she didn't look her brother in the eyes. Or else he might just realize she was hiding something. He was always frustratingly good at reading her.

"Who else has decided to join in?" Artemis asked.

"Well, there's Ares." Apollo stated. "Not a surprise. The big three are all stuck on their respective thrones. Actually, I think just us three for the Olympians, surprisingly."

"I see." Artemis replied. "That's good. You can leave now."

"I don't think so." Apollo shook his head. "I think there is something else we should talk about."

"And what would that possibly be?" Artemis asked, glancing at Apollo.

To her surprise, his face was no longer sporting the wide grin it usually did. Instead, it was oddly serious.

"You don't plan on breaking your vow, are you?" He asked.

"Of course not." Artemis scoffed. "Who do you think I am?"

"Of course, what was I thinking?" Apollo chuckled, his smile coming back onto his face. "How silly of me."

Apollo turned around and started to walk away, before giving one final glance over his shoulder.

"Don't forget, Artemis." Apollo said, before he grinned. "And I'm going to win this time."

"Over my dead body." Artemis spat back.

But unlike every other time she had said those words to her brother, they held another meaning this time. She truly meant them. If he wanted to kill Nikolas, he would have to go through her.

"Lady Artemis...?" One of the women spoke up.

"I...I'm sorry." Artemis shook her head. "Stay at camp and take a moment to relax. I need to think for a moment."

"Yes, Lady Artemis." The women nodded.

"Is it about him?" One asked.

Artemis paused. She sighed, before giving a small, reluctant nod.

"We support you, whatever you choose." Another women stated.

They all nodded in agreement.

Artemis looked at them, before there was a small tug upwards at the edges of her lips.

"...thank you." She gratefully nodded, before turning and walking away with a mission in mind.

And in the trees, Apollo watched with a narrowed gaze. His sister couldn't trick him that easily.

'What are you hiding, sister?' He thought to himself. 'Or rather, who?'

The hunt would have to be put on hold.