46 - Lord Hades

"W-what..?" Ria stuttered. "Where did he go?!"

"Shit." Melinoe cursed.

"He didn't notice me." Persephone sighed. "This...isn't good."

"Who are these with you, Persephone?" Artemis approached the group cautiously. "What do you want with Nikolas?"

"Artemis?" Era asked before Persephone could speak.

The two of them stared at each other for a moment, before suddenly Artemis recognized that specific divinity coming off of her.

"Athena?" Artemis gasped.

"Yes." Era nodded. "Hephaestus, Hestia, and Persephone are also with me."

"Wait, this is another goddess?" Bellerophon asked.

"I am. Now someone explain what just happened." Artemis replied with an annoyed tone.

"Thanatos is usually a calm person, however..." Persephone spoke. "...when Melinoe disappeared, he let out the greatest fury the world had ever seen from him."

"Really?" Melinoe asked.

"Yes." Persephone nodded. "And while rare, when he is angry, he becomes very short-sighted. He saw you, heard Nikolas, and assumed he was the one who stole you."

"That's not right though..." Ria muttered.

"It was that bastard King Sisyphus." Bellerophon added. "And we fed him to the Chimera."

"Sounds delightfully vicious." Artemis grinned.

"And that shadow thing..." Era frowned. "Thanatos has taken Nikolas straight to the Underworld, hasn't he?"

"Yes." Both Melinoe and Persephone nodded at once.

"That could be good!" Ria spoke, trying to be optimistic. "He wanted to go there alive!"

"Yes, but he will be face to face with my husband, the ruler of the Underworld, Hades." Persephone replied. "Who is under the assumption that Nikolas is the one who stole Melinoe."

"Oh, that's not good at all." Ria cringed.

"We need to go after him. Now." Era declared. "Melinoe, Persephone, will you two let us through?"

"Of course!" Melinoe replied.

"Yes." Persephone nodded with a smile.

"I'm coming with." Artemis crossed her arms. "Nikolas and I made a deal. He did his end, now it's time for me to do mine."

Athena glanced at Artemis. 'Of course...any other god is better than I am...'

She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. She would make things right, whether or not that changed Nikolas' impression of her.

It was something she had to do.

"We need to prepare before we go." Hephaestus stated.

"We don't have the time." Argued Era.

"We do." Hephaestus replied. "As long as I'm quick enough."

He looked over to the broken staff. "He's going to need his walking stick back. I can fix it up and improve it in a few moments."

"There's also something I need to prepare for Nikolas as well." Artemis added, looking over to the large boar carcass.

"Oh wow..." Ria gasped, just now realizing it was there.

"Fine." Era reluctantly relented. "Let's inform Pythia and do anything else we need to get ready."

. . .