𝘃: the world moves on

chapter five / season three episode three

THE WORLD MOVED ON. It always did.

But, Amelia found her feet firmly planted on the titles floor of the coffee shop where she used to enjoy her morning coffees, or her Saturday brunch coffees - now, she had not been back since.

Really, all Amelia did was wake up from the safety blanket of her duvet, skip coffee and have something small for breakfast and work. (She'd ignore the calls that came from a phone number that originated in Washington)

It was work, work, work and act as if you'd moved on!

She hadn't.

The world had.

The world outside the BAU wouldn't even know Jason Gideon had quit.

Amelia knew.

Spencer knew.

The rest of the team knew.

Today, Penelope had taken on the task of clearing out Jason's office, "Gideon left everything, except the photographs."

Amelia hadn't reacted, her eyes were trained firmly on the letters in Spencer's hands, she'd realized after she'd made it home to her apartment that she would've much rather had a letter left by Gideon instead of a phone call.

Maybe a letter would've helped her move on better.

Spencer looked up for a spilt second, "He always said those were like his family."

Derek and Emily exchanged a look before glancing between Amelia and Spencer.

Derek and Emily were worried and that was to put it lightly. Spencer and Amelia didn't speak much during the day, they didn't have much to say anymore. Amelia didn't do her usual tapping, beating her thigh or drinking her coffee and her nails weren't even painted.

Spencer looked more exhausted than usual and seemed to be taking Amelia's intake of coffee so that the packets of sugar and coffee beans didn't go to waste.

Neither of them spoke of Gideon, not unless someone brought him up first.

Derek believed neither of them knew how to cope. Spencer had been left with a letter by someone he'd known for years, someone who he'd looked up to, someone who'd trained him. Amelia had one phone-call where she didn't get to thank Gideon enough, or say all that she wanted to because her mind was too clouded.