𝘅𝗶𝘅: packing

chapter nineteen / season three

AARON HOTCHNER HAD NEVER HATED HIS HOUSE.

He had once loved the white paneling that contrasted the dark blue window shutters, he loved the weekends that he spent with his (once) wife where they planted flowers into the window boxes and flower beds.

He loved his hoarders collection in the garage that Haley had once forced him to go through, luckily he had been called on a case so the boxes had never actually been sorted through.

Now it wasn't so lucky, considering he now had to find a storage unit for all these boxes as the amount of stuff in them was no longer going to fit in the apartment he had bought for himself and Jack.

And now, Aaron didn't love his house. Because it wasn't his.

The white paneling, the dark blue shutters and the dying flowers were not his.

The garage was no longer his to stock pile with boxes.

Jack's bedroom, that they had spent a whole weekend painting a dark blue and sticking glow in the dark space stickers on the wall, would no longer be the room he read Jack bedtime stories in.

The bedroom he once shared with his wife, was now just Haley's.

He'd never have to clean the bath out from one of Haley's bath bombs that contained copious amounts of glitter, or the hair down the drain, or the water jug that Jack filled with some sort of soapy concoction.

Aaron didn't have to do those jobs anymore.

The jobs he had always claimed to hate. Were now the jobs he was going to miss most.

His new apartment didn't have window shutters, it didn't have any flower boxes, and it most certainly didn't have any white paneling. He had a dark brown brick outside, a green canopy at the entrance, a tiny balcony, two bedrooms and two bathrooms.

Both bathrooms had showers.

Aaron didn't like that.

He had tried searching for an apartment with a bath under short notice but had failed to find one, and Aaron didn't want to spend another second in the house that he hated.

Not when he knew Haley was waiting to move back in and raise their boy.

He couldn't make her wait any longer.