𝘅𝗶𝗶: progress

chapter twelve / season three

DEREK HAD TWO BEST FRIENDS.

And those two best friends of his warmed his heart, truly. Derek loved them like no tomorrow.

When he'd first met Penelope Garcia, he was unsure of how to react to the bubbly personality who walked the halls of the FBI building in complete contrast to everyone else. He was unsure how to react because he'd never seen anyone dress so brightly and have a smile on her face. That had been the first thing Derek had loved about Penelope, and the list had only grown since the first day.

And it had grown at such an extortionate rate that he had no clue what number the list was on.

Penelope wore bright clothes and had funky pens on her desk, she always had a spare stick of gum for Derek hanging around and detested anything bloody. She was so different from anyone Derek knew, and that was what he appreciated.

When Derek stayed over one night at Penelope's house he was not surprised to find the walls painted a deep purple with those beads hanging over almost every entrance, there was a wall in the dining room that was just dedicated with pictures (and overtime Derek had seen the walls become filled to the point there was no more room). Penelope had more decorative cushions than she had room and barely any spare room on side tables or coffee tables due to knick-knacks.

Even Penelope's bathroom had elements of the girl's colorful life; with a pink fuzzy rug, those renter friendly fake tiles in the same deep purple as her living room (that Derek had to install) and a sparkly toilet roll holder.

It was so Penelope.

He loved it.

His other best friend had only come into his life in more recent months, but he loved Amelia Levine nonetheless. She'd been Gideon's friend before she'd been his. That didn't matter.

She was a ball of nerves that could come undone at anymore, Derek had realized that within five minutes of meeting her. And for the girl who wore a smile (at the beginning) and brought in kind gestures for the members of the team (so she fitted in), she had so much backstory.

She'd lived in five states before turning ten.

She was a pleasure to teach.

She was a good team player.

She had a Unit Chief out to get her.

She had a dead friend.

She was on Strauss' list.

She had a douchey dad.