𝘅𝘃𝗶: penelope

chapter sixteen / season three episode nine

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

Penelope underestimated how annoying the steady beeping of the heart rate machine could be. Granted, it was a great thing that after nearly bleeding out she had a steady heart beat but she would much rather not have to listen to that heartbeat over and over again.

She'd only been awake for a few minutes, but she lay totally still. She didn't want the doctor to come in yet, she didn't want to see anyone just yet.

Penelope just wanted to sit in silence.

With that stupid, fucking, beeping.

Penelope wanted to reflect on how stupid she had been, how blind she had been to fall so foolishly for the first man who showed her even the slightest hint of interest. She should've just listened to Derek, she never should've gone on that date.

It had been too good to be true.

She was so, so, fucking stupid.

(That's what she thought, anyway)

There was a groan that sounded from an armchair that had been pulled closer to the blonde's hospital bed, at first Penelope's heart rate sped up on the monitor before returning back to normal when she realized it was just Amelia.

It was just Amelia, who had been fast asleep in the chair five minutes before visiting hours began.

How...?

And not only was Amelia sat in the armchair beside Penelope, but the table at her bedside had been covered in flower arrangements from the little shop near Amelia's apartment. One of them, the biggest, was filled with the analyst's favorite flower: peonies. The second, the second largest, was filled with white roses, white lillie's and different white flowers Penelope didn't know of.

And the third, the smallest of the three, was just one flower in a glass jar with some compost in the bottom. It hadn't been bought from any store or anything like that, it was a glass milk bottle with some silk wrapped around the neck and a single geranium in the glass.

Penelope remembered Amelia mentioning wanting to get into gardening.

The agent must've made space on her balcony.

"You're up." Amelia spoke with a croaked voice, or so Penelope thought. Amelia didn't know if it was from just waking up or all the crying that she'd done in recent days. "You're up."