𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶: all apart of the job

chapter eight / season three

PENELOPE GARCIA MISSED AMELIA LEVINE.

The technical analyst wasn't sure she was going to make it to the end of Amelia's leave without bursting into tears and proclaiming that she missed the latest agent in the BAU.

That might've been dramatic, but that was how Penelope felt.

There was nothing more Penelope loved than family. And the girl had lost hers in her teen years, a car accident and a drunk driver. Penelope will never be ridded of the guilt she feels still to this day. But, there's one thing in this world that lessens that guilt, everyday.

And that's walking into the office building, scanning her badge (knowing she's the best dressed in the whole building) and walking into the bullpen where her fellow agents greet her. Except, they aren't just agents.

No. No.

They're family.

They lessen Penelope's guilt everyday, they flirt with her on the phone, they go shopping with her and laugh when she fills her hands with bags, she manages to make one of them crack a smile every so often and she always make one of them feel welcome.

They lessen that guilt for her, they do something for her and in return she'll give them her technical skills but she'll also wear her bright colored clothing so that not everything is doom and gloom, she provides that safe space within an office.

She makes the office home, really.

The family spends more hours in this building than what they do in their actual homes, so if Penelope can make their hearts just a little bit less heavy than she's more than up for the job.

They were a family because, unknowingly, they all make each others days easier, they made each others hearts less heavy, they made each other feel safe, welcomed and apart of something special.

Penelope made sure that whenever they gained a new agent that they were apart of the family within seconds.

They needed someone welcoming when your Unit Chief was Aaron Hotchner and didn't exactly make the job easier for Penelope.

Except, Penelope had only gotten to welcome two agents so far. Elle Greenaway. Who had fit in so well that there wasn't much need to make sure she fit in - Elle had been teasing Derek from the moment they met, and that was enough for Penelope. And Emily. Emily had a rocky start all because of Unit Chief Aaron Hotchner, surprised? But, within time everyone had made sure Emily had her place in this office.