𝘅𝘃: clara

chapter fifteen / season three episode nine

AMELIA LEVINE FELT HER HEART DROP TO HER STOMACH A MILLION TIMES A DAY, to the point Amelia had gotten used to that sinking feeling and the burn it left behind.

But, because it happened to her so frequently (on cases most of the time) she could always remember the ones that left the strongest burn.

Most of the time it would be an unsub's actions that caused her heart to drop and she really would question who was sick enough to do this to another person. Amelia knew there were psychological reasons for some, and some just did it for fun - those who did it for fun usually caused her stomach to drop more often than the psychological reasons.

Amelia remembered where she was when her heart truly dropped three times before.

The first time was when she was seven, making herself a bowl of cereal for school that morning. Amelia had known something was wrong when her mom and dad came down the stairs still dressed in their pajamas. The seven year old was ready for school and neither of her parents seemed ready to take her, which was odd considering it was usually Thomas shouting at her to get ready quicker.

It was a Wednesday, that usually meant it was her dad taking her to school.

They had told her to sit down and leave her breakfast in the kitchen. Amelia had been confused, so confused. And her parents left in her in a wondering silence for at least two minutes before speaking to her again. Originally, Amelia had thought that was just so they could prepare themselves for what they had to tell their daughter but knowing them it probably hadn't been.

Her heart dropped when Thomas told her that her Grandma had died, peacefully.

Amelia didn't understand. Her eyebrows furrowed and her vision became blurred. She'd only seen her Grandma the day before and they'd visited the park, they'd swung their hands back and forth and nearly hit someone in the face. Grandma had been perfectly fine the day before. And then she had just died...

Yet, Amelia was the only crying at the kitchen table that morning. Her own mother didn't cry. Thomas didn't even look bothered.

Grandma may have hated Thomas (for valid reasons) but they still could've shown their daughter some love in that moment. They could've consoled their daughter and smothered her in kisses and hugs.

But they didn't.

Thomas went upstairs to get dressed for work.