𝟢𝟣𝟥. red, white and blue

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑, 𝘚𝘜𝘔𝘔𝘌𝘙 𝘏𝘌𝘈𝘛
𝟢𝟣𝟥.     red, white and blue

THE FOURTH OF JULY in Cousins was all about traditions. Susannah would deck out the whole house, the dads came up for the weekend, and the boy steam clams and shoot off fireworks. It had always been the same every year, but this year... this year everything was different.

Tatum was in her bathroom, finishing the last curl of her hair before she turned off the heat and looked at herself. She put on a touch of makeup that morning, not too much because she knew she would sweat if off. Her outfit, however, was perfectly curated to match the red, white and blue theme for the day—torn up blue jean shorts with a red bikini top, covered with a thin white button up shirt. She rested a pair of sunglasses on top of her head.

She skipped down the stairs with a wide smile on her face and greeted Jeremiah and Belly at the table while they munched on Capt'n Crunch. Tate smiles and pulled out a chair beside Belly. "How are my two favorite people doing this morning?"

"Oh, someone's in a good mood," Jeremiah says.

Tate shrugs and pours herself a bowl of cereal. "You know how much I love the fourth, Jere."

Jeremiah nods. He, in fact, did. Everyone did. It was the event of the summer that Tatum always lived for. Like her birthday, she was on a cloud all day. She always had her outfit picked out days ahead of time and always volunteered to help Susannah decorate. It was a bond they shared.

"Can I finish your milk?" Jeremiah asks Belly as she takes the last bite of her cereal. She nods and hands him her bowl.

Conrad walks into the kitchen as Jeremiah starts slurping from the bowl. "Yo, I'm gonna go wash the clams. Did you get the lighter fluid?"

Jeremiah nods. "Yeah. It's already on the beach."

Conrad nods and starts walking away before he stops and turns around. He looks at Tate and points to her. "I like your outfit, by the way."

Tate smiles sweetly while her cheeks flush a rose pink. "Thanks."

The two hold eye contact for a beat before Conrad nods and walks outside. Tate sighs and stands up, moving to pour her bowl in the sink. Steven and Susannah walk in while she does. "Are we done with the portrait yet?" he complains.

"Yeah, for today," Susannah tells him. "But you do look good in a dress shirt, Steven."

Adrian laughs while he walks into the kitchen, patting his friend's shoulders. "Lookin' sharp, buddy."

Steven rolls his eyes. "Whatever, man. You're next."

Adrian looks at Susannah with a terrified look. She shrugs. "I want to get you boys done before I do Tate and Belly's."