𝟢𝟥𝟢. love sick

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄, 𝘓𝘖𝘝𝘌 𝘚𝘐𝘊𝘒
𝟢𝟥𝟢. love sick

TATE COULD HEAR her heart hammering in her ears. Conrad's face has turned white, like he's seen a ghost. She's never seen him look at her like that. It felt wrong.

"So this is why you haven't been answering my phone calls and texts?" Jeremiah questions his brother.

Conrad looks at him with a look on his face. "Jere, did you not hear what I just said? We're gonna lose this house. Mom's house."

Tate's brows furrow. "Why would your dad sell this house?"

Conrad doesn't look at her when he says, "He's not. Our Aunt Julia is."

"Susannah's sister?" Duh.

"Half sister," Conrad corrects. "Apparently, the house belonged to the both of them and then when Mom... now Aunt Julia owns the whole thing, so..."

"Okay, well, just call Dad and figure something out—"

"You think I haven't already done that?" Conrad asks. "He says legally the house is hers."

"Okay, then he'll buy it."

"He doesn't have the money to buy it. Between Brown and the medical bills and the—"

"Yeah, I know how much the medical bills cost because I was there."

Tate can't do anything more than watch the two brothers argue. She knew she probably could have stepped in, but she didn't know if she should. This seemed more personal than a simple house. Even if the house was the last bit of Susannah they had to share.

"How long did you know about this and not tell me?"

"Jere, this was all happening so fast. I was gonna tell you after I'd taken care of it."

Jeremiah scoffs. "And this is you taking care of it? Going AWOL, ditching school, not talking to us—"

"Fuck school!" Conrad shouts. "I don't care."

"Connie, you have to go back or you'll fail your class," Jeremiah insisted.

Tate bit her lip and looked at the boy. "How are you going to become a doctor if you flunk out, Connie?"

Conrad doesn't dare to look at her. His face his void of any emotion and he points his hand at her like she's crazy. "You have no idea what you're talking about."

Tate breath hitches and Jeremiah looked between the two. "Seriously?" he asked, fury filling his veins. "We went to Brown to check on your ass. Tate rode a bus for five fucking hours to see you. To check on you. To make sure you're okay!"

Conrad reamins silent.

"You know, I didn't think you'd pull this shit again, but you don't give a shit about anyone but yourself." Jeremiah holds off for a moment, waiting for Conrad to say anything more, but he just stares at his brother blankly.