𝟢𝟥𝟥. calls of panic

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄, 𝘓𝘖𝘝𝘌 𝘚𝘐𝘊𝘒
𝟢𝟥𝟥.     calls of panic

TATE AND JEREMIAH tried to get through to his Aunt Julia. They even got her flowers as a peace offering. She declined and still insisted on selling the house. All that was left was for Conrad and Jeremiah to try and convince their dad.

Tate looks at the two boys as they sit across from each other at the dining room table. "Do you guys want to be alone? I feel like I should wait upstairs."

Conrad shakes his head quickly. "No, stay. Stay. You helped me and J get this far. Plus, it's your house as much as it is ours."

Slowly, Tate nods and pulls out a seat at the end of the table when the phone rings. Conrad answers it. "Dad, hey."

"Hey, Con, I only got about a few minutes here."

Jeremiah tilts the phone toward him. "Hey, Dad."

"Jere? You're in Cousins, too?"

"Yeah, just got here last night."

Adam quickly changes the subject. "All right, look, I got a heads-up from the bank telling me you're trying to access your trust. That's not gonna happen."

"So you've already made up your mind?" Conrad asks.

"Yeah. I mean, that money is for your future. I'm not gonna let you blow it on a beach house."

"It's not just a house, Dad." Jeremiah says.

"You want me to beg, Dad? 'Cause I will. I will. I'll do whatever you want as long as we keep this house."

"Guys, I had my lawyers look into any possible loopholes right after the funeral, but there's none. Okay? The house is legally Julia's."

"Wait, so you've known we're losing the house since the funeral?" Jeremiah asks, unbelieving to anything his father was saying. Tate couldn't understand it either. How could he have known and not told his sons?

"Jere, I'm not your evil father trying to ruin your life. And believe it or not, I'm just as upset as you are about it."

"That's such bullshit. That's such bullshit. You never cared about this house, Dad. You never cared about it 'cause you never cared about Mom."

Tate's hand instinctively reaches out, grabbing Conrad's arm. "Conrad."

Tate knew about the affair Adam had with his secretary. Conrad had told her all about it during one of their late night phone calls back when they were still together. She was disgusted by it but she still knew that comment was extremely passive aggressive.

"You know that's not true. Jere, come on. You get it, don't you?"

"Dad, I— I don't, I don't get why we can't just use our trust to buy it, and then we can sell it later if we need the money."