𝟢𝟤𝟧. love lost

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄, 𝘓𝘖𝘝𝘌 𝘓𝘖𝘚𝘛
𝟢𝟤𝟧.     love lost

TATUM CAN SOMETIMES still smell the salt air. She can still hear the beach waves crashing on the shore sometimes when she closed her eyes. She can still see her and Conrad laughing at the summer house's island with their hands interlocked while they laugh along with Susannah and everyone else.

But she can't and she won't ever again.

She wasn't in Cousins. Her and Conrad weren't together. Susannah was dead.

Nothing would ever be the same again.

You see, escaping to her dreams seemed easier than living with her memories. Living with the memories of what she had with Conrad and the memories she had with Susannah. It's the being awake that's the hard part.

Tate liked to think back to a better time. When she was in Cousins and she was with Conrad. A time when all was happy and Susannah was still with them.

The most far, distant memory that Tate loved to hold onto was the last memory she had at Cousins. The memory of her and Conrad's first happy moment before they took a slow downhill fall to the pitfalls of... well, them.

It was after everyone found out about Susannah's cancer. I know, horrible timing, but there was only a few more days of summer left and a few more days before they were separated again. They wanted to hold onto what they had for as long as they had. They didn't want a single moment to slip through their fingers.

LAST SUMMER !

Tate walked with Conrad up the path leading back to the summer house. She swung their interlocked hands back and fourth with a smile on her face. "This almost doesn't feel real," she giggles.

Conrad looks at her with a smile spread across his lips when he pulls her to a halt and grabs her waist. "How 'bout now?" he leans down to kiss her lips, brightening the smile on Tate's face.

Tate laughs and pulls herself from him, grabbing his hand again and pulling him with her. Conrad can't help but stare at her. "You know, you have the prettiest smile I've ever seen." Tate looks at him and she smiles again. "Your whole face just lights up. I've wanted to say that to you all summer."

Tate looks at him, but despite her happiness, there's an aching voice in her head telling her he's not happy. He's doing this for you. He's doing this because you want this. He's doing it to please you. He doesn't really love you.

When she looks at him, his smile is disappeared. His head is tilted down and his steps fall behind. Tate freezes and looks at him, causing him to look up. "What?"

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Tate looks down and grabs his other hand. "Because if you don't want to, we don't have to. We can go back to how it was and keep it a secret."