𝟢𝟥𝟧. open house disasters

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑, 𝘓𝘖𝘝𝘌 𝘎𝘈𝘔𝘌
𝟢𝟥𝟧.    open house disasters

TATE WOKE UP feeling like she got beat repeatedly in the head with a freaking baseball bat. Her head pounded and her body felt like it weighted a million pounds. Her hair was knotted and looked like a rat had nested there last night. She brushed it out then her nostrils recognized the sweet, sweet smell of fresh muffins.

She trotted down the stairs hopefully and rounded the corner to the kitchen. She froze so fast she could have swore there were skid marks on the floor.

She knew she was imagining it. It couldn't be.

Susannah?

Tate rubbed the stinging feeling of exhaustion from her eyes before she came back to her senses. It wasn't Susannah. It was Julia.

Skye, her daughter, walked over to her, snapping Julia from her trance before she turned off the water. "I know we're not in California, but save a little water."

Tate bit her lip, turning to go back to her room before her name rang through the air. She cringed and turned to Skye. "Hey, Skye. Sorry. I, uhm... I just smelled muffins."

"Want one?" Skye asks.

"Sure." Tate moves closer to the plate of baked goods before Julia steps over. "Uh, those are for the open house. Morning."

Tate pushes her lips out in a pout and looks down at her hands when the back door opens. "Mm. Did somebody get muff—" Jeremiah cuts himself off when he sees his cousin standing across the counter from Tate.

"Hey, Jeremiah." Skye's face falls when Conrad walks in. "Conrad."

"Skye." Conrad looks at his brother. "You didn't tell me she was here, too."

"It's 'they.' Not 'she.' God, I guess it's been, like, a decade since I saw you guys. Um, how are you doing since your mom?"

"It's been rough." Jeremiah says, arms crossed over his chest.

"Rougher now that our Aunt's stealing our house."

Tate rubs her hands over her head, her headache slowly growing with Conrad' bitter comments.

Julie turns to her nephew. "I'm not stealing anything, Conrad. Like it or not, I get to choose what happens to this house and I chose to put it on the market." Tate pulls her lips into a thin line as awkward silence fills the air. "You boys should get on the road. Beat the traffic back to Boston."

"There's no chance. We're staying for the open house."

Julia shakes her head. "Uh, no, no, no. I can't have a bunch of teenagers chasing everybody away. Call your father, because this isn't an Aunt Julia problem."