𝟢𝟤𝟢. play it forward

──────────── this love

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄, 𝘚𝘜𝘔𝘔𝘌𝘙 𝘛𝘐𝘋𝘌𝘚
𝟢𝟤𝟢.     play it forward

TATE STANDS IN the kitchen of the summer house, leaned over the counter in her 'Play It Forward' shirt. Play It Forward was the volleyball tournament today Susannah had put together to help raise money for different charities. Tate sucked at volleyball, but she knew it was for a good cause so she decided to join in. Serena was on her team, and was on her way over now to get ready.

Tate filled a water bottle before pulling out her phone to check Serena's ETA. She clicked it off right when Conrad walked in. The minute Tate noticed him, she shivered and shrunk down.

That hadn't spoke since last night... they hadn't spoke since Conrad essentially told her their kiss meant nothing, and everything he said to her was a lie. She spent all of last night crying into her pillow.

"Hey, Tate..."

Tate looks up at him and offers him a small smile. Keep it under control, Tate. Don't let him see you hurting. "Oh, hey."

He stands in front of her, leaning on the other side of the counter. "Feeling good about the tournament?"

Tate pulls her lips into a thin line. "No," she laughs slightly. "Oh, God, I suck at volleyball."

Conrad laughs. "I think you'll do great."

"Not against Belly."

Conrad shrugs. "Yeah, she is pretty good, huh?"

"Yeah." Tate nods at him and they meet each other's eyes for a quick moment. In that one moment, despite everything that happened between them it still feels like the world had stopped.

For a moment, Tate forgets about what he said to her and thinks about the way his hands fit so perfectly on her waist and in her hands. The way she would melt into the feeling of his kiss. The way he spoke to her so sweetly, like she was all he ver wanted.

Then, Tate remembers the what he told her last night. I think about you, but I just... can't. Just like that, Tate looks away from him and starts twisting the lid on her water bottle.

"Tate," Conrad says softly. Tate doesn't look at him, simply moves to walk past him, but he grabs her wrist, stopping her. Tate slowly meets his gaze and he lets go. "I'm sorry." She gulps. "I'm sorry for being a jerk yesterday and pretending like I don't remember when I remember everything. I just keep replaying it over and over again in my head."

She sighs heavily. "I... I don't really know what to say."

Conrad nods. "I know. It's too little, too late. I get it. Um..."

Tate looks at him for a moment, but when his eyes shift away from hers, she turns to walk away and makes her way toward the stairs. "Can I take you to the ball?"