Chapter 3

Rory's POV-

After waking up on Paris's couch on Friday morning, I headed home to shower and change. The whole way to my apartment I couldn't stop thinking about Evan. I didn't want to break up but I didn't know how I could be with him if I couldn't trust him not to cheat on me.

When I get to my floor, I step off the elevator and to my surprise Evan is sitting outside my door. When he saw me he stood up.

"Go away Evan" I said in a harsh tone. I push past him to unlock my door.

"Please, I wanna talk" he pleaded. I walked into my apartment and he followed me

I turn around to look at him "who was it?"

The color drained from his face. I could tell he wasn't expecting me to ask that "Rory please"

"You wanted to talk, so talk" I said "who was it? Someone I know? Someone we work with?" A tear escaped my eye and I wiped it quickly but I'm pretty sure he saw it

"I'm so sorry. It was an accident"

"You accidentally had sex with someone?" I scoffed

"Bad choice of words" he said "it was a mistake"

"A mistake that cost you your relationship" I said, sadly. It took everything I had not to cry in that moment but I wasn't gonna let him see me cry over this

"You're gonna end a year and a half relationship that easily?"

"You already ended it" I said, my voice breaking a little "you ended it the second you made the decision to sleep with someone else" I paused for a second "get out of my apartment"

"Rory please"

"We're done. Get out" I walked into my bedroom and slammed the door. I waited until a heard him leave and then I let myself fall apart. When I left my bedroom a little while later I saw his key to my apartment on the table.

17 months, out the window.

That night I went to Friday night dinner alone and as soon as we were sitting down with our drinks grandma asked about Evan.

"No Evan this week?" Grandma asked

I let out a breath, willing myself not to cry "no" I said "no Evan. That's uh...that's over"

"What happened?" Mom asked "you guys were doing so well"

"I don't wanna get into it" I said and shook my head "it doesn't really matter, anyway. Broken up is broken up"

Later that night, as mom and I were walking out of the house, I was about to part ways with her and walk to my car when she grabbed my arm.

"What happened with you and Evan?" She asked

"I don't wanna talk about it" I said. I wouldn't look her in the eye. I knew she would eventually get it out of me but I didn't want her to know. For whatever reason I felt ashamed about the whole situation even though I wasn't even the one who cheated.

"Did he hurt you?" She asked. I could tell that she was genuinely concerned.

"Not physically" I mumbled

"Rory, you guys were together for a year and a half. What happened?"

I hesitated for a moment before telling her "he cheated on me, ok?" I said quietly "we got really busy, couldn't spend as much time together for a few weeks, things got a little distant between us, and he slept with someone else"