Chapter 14

Logan's POV-

I stood in the emergency room, next Rory who was curled up on the bed. I wasn't gonna say 'I told you so', but I was definitely glad I convinced her to come because in the past hour and a half, it became very clear that whatever pain she was in was getting worse. "Do you need anything?" I reached my hand out to brush a stray hair back behind her ear. She shook her head. "Do you want me to call your mom?" I knew that Lorelai would want to know that Rory was in the emergency room.

Rory shook her head "she'll worry"

"Maybe she should worry" maybe not the best thing to say in that moment, but I was stressed. I think anyone would be...watching their fiancé in a hospital bed, in pain.

"Don't tell her" Rory said "not unless there's something to tell". I could understand that. We didn't actually know what was wrong yet.  If I told Lorelai that Rory was in the emergency room, I wouldn't actually be able to give her any information.

Not too long later, Rory fell asleep, which I was thankful for because watching her in pain was not easy. I was sitting next to her, on the edge of the bed. She was leaning against me and I wrapped my arm around her. At some point the doctor came over. "Ace" I whispered and gently nudged Rory "doctor"

The doctor gave Rory a moment to wake up before speaking. "Rory, the test results show that you have appendicitis" he said

Surgery?! I didn't really hear most of what he said next. I can back to reality just as he was finishing talking."the surgery is very straightforward. We'll be in and out in an hour, and if all goes according to plan, you can be home within 24 hours"

"Ok" Rory said

"Someone will be by soon to prep you" the doctor said before walking away

I waited for Rory to say something, but she didn't. "What are you thinking, Ace?"

"I need to call my mom"

"I'll call her" I said "are you ok?"

"I'm not any less ok than I was 2 minutes ago"

How is it that she was the one about to have surgery but I'm the one who was nervous?

-

I sat in the waiting room while Rory was in surgery. She'd only been gone half an hour but it felt like forever. I had her ring in my hand. They made her take it off, something about it not being sterile. I did not want to be holding that ring. I wanted it to be on her finger, where it belonged, and I wanted Rory to be at home, with me, where she belonged. I was brought back to reality by the feeling of a hand on my shoulder. It was Lorelai "hey" she walked over to sit next to me.

"Hey" I nodded "how's it going?" Stupid question. It was 2am and she was in a hospital, waiting for her daughter to come out of surgery.

"Oh it's going great" Lorelai said, sarcastically. "I love it when my daughter's fiancé calls me in the middle of the night to tell me that she's having surgery"

I let out a sigh

"Sorry" she said

"It's ok" I said "I get it"

"you look nervous" she's told me

I chuckled slightly "Rory's not. She was giggling" Lorelai gave me a confused look "before they took her back for surgery, she was laughing. They gave her morphine, she was high" I chuckled. I'd never seen Rory high before. I actually don't think she'd ever actually been high before. "She was talking, but she wasn't making any sense and every time I laughed she just started laughing harder"