Chapter 7

Rory's POV-

I was sitting at my desk, when Evan walked over to me. I looked up at him, decided to ignore him, and went back to my work. I know it's childish, but it's not easy having to work in the same office as the guy who cheated on you. Even if you're over it and with someone else, looking at that person just makes you mad. At least for me.

"How long are you gonna do this?" Evan asked. I could hear in his voice that he was annoyed.

Luckily I didn't have to respond because Bailey appeared next to us "go away, Evan" she said

"This is none of your business" Evan said, through clenched teeth

"You hurt Rory, and she's my friend. That makes it my business"

While Evan and Bailey argued I saw Logan walk into the newsroom. "Bailey, stop" I said and stood up "it doesn't matter, I'm leaving anyway" I grab my purse and my jacket and start walking towards Logan.

"Rory!" Evan said and grabbed my arm.

I look at Evan, then down at where his hand was squeezing my arm, and back up to his face. "Let go of me"

"I wanna talk to you" He said.

"Evan, let go!" Bailey said. People were starting to stare. People started telling him to let go of my arm. He looked right into my eyes and tightened his grip on my arm. He was now holding my arm so tight that I felt pain not just where his hand was but also in my hand. This scared me a little because in all the time I'd known Evan, he'd never been even remotely aggressive towards me, and not only that, I'd never seen him be aggressive, period.

The next thing I knew Logan was standing next to me. "Hey, come on man, you gotta let go" one thing I never understood about Logan was his ability to stay calm, even in situations where anyone else would be freaking out.

"Who even are you?" Evan snapped.

Just then our editor, Brooke walked in and saw the commotion. By this point nobody was working anymore. Everyone was shouting and I was on the verge of tears. "Gilmore! Astor! My office, now!" Suddenly I felt like I was back in high school, and I was getting called into the principal's office.

Evan let go of my arm and stormed off towards Brooke's office.

"Are you ok?" Logan asked. He put his hand on my shoulder and reached for my arm, with the other hand, to see it but I pulled it away and put my hands in my jacket pockets. I've knew my arm was probably bruised and a little swollen but I didn't want to make a bigger deal out of this than what was already made out of it.

"I'm fine" I told him "I have to go talk to my boss. I don't know how long it'll take. You don't have to wait for me if you don't want"

"I'll wait" Logan said.

"Ok" I walked down the hall to my editor's office and went inside. Brooke and Evan were already in there.

"Look" Brooke said. I could tell she was mad. More than mad, actually. She was pissed, and rightfully so. "It's no secret around here that you guys were together, and it's also not a secret that you aren't anymore. Why you broke up is none of my business but I won't tolerate it causing a disruption in the office. Not only that but physical violence can be grounds for immediate dismissal and termination of employment" she looked at Evan

"You can't be serious!" Evan scoffed. I'll admit that he was probably the best photographer that the times had. I knew it, he knew it, and everyone else knew it. I also knew him well enough to know that hearing he might be fired was a big blow for him. "You can't fire me for that"

"For physical violence?" Brooke asked. She was usually the type of boss that felt more like a friend than a boss but in that moment I could tell, she wasn't joking around "you bet your ass I can fire you"

"I barely touched her!" Evan argued. I wouldn't say that he barely touched me. I could feel my arm throbbing and if my hands weren't still in my pockets, I'm sure we'd see the beginnings of bruises. "It was a joke"

"Rory, would you mind taking your hands out of your pockets?" Brooke asked. I reluctantly removed my hands from my pockets and even just a few minutes after the incident, my arm was already swelling up and blueish purple bruises were forming "tomorrow morning you, me, and a representative from HR" she said to Evan "in the meantime go home. You're done for the day" Evan didn't protest and just left. "Are you ok?" Brooke asked me. I nodded. "I need you to get your arm checked by a doctor"

I had no idea why she wanted me to see a doctor but I knew that I really didn't want to "why?"

"You were injured in the office, by another employee" she said "I need a doctor's report for the insurance company"

"Ok"

"The paper will cover whatever the bill is from the doctor" she told me. I nodded. "I'm also giving you the rest of the day off. You can go"

"Thank you"

After having lunch with Logan and spending a good part of the afternoon in urgent care, Logan and I were in his apartment getting ready for bed. I was already sitting in bed and Logan was about to join me but he just stood right next to the bed, looking at me. "Is everything ok?"

"I need to ask you something" he said. I could definitely tell that he was nervous to ask me whatever it was. "And I'm not so sure that I'm gonna like the answer but I need to know"

"What's going on?"

"Has he ever hurt you before?" Logan asked. As much as I wanted to be mad at Logan for asking that, I could see where he was coming from.

"No! Never!" It was true. Evan had never been even remotely violent. I honestly don't know what came over him that day.

"Are you sure? He seemed way too comfortable putting his hands on you today"

"I know that you're worried about me but I promise. This was the first time anything like that has ever happened and it's the last"

"Ok, good" Logan got into bed next to me. Goodnight Ace" He put his hands on my cheek and kissed me

"Goodnight"