19. Gracie

My reflection bounced back at me as I ran my brush through my hair. After Sutton and I spent an hour out on the balcony, taking in the view and trying to move past what happened with his dreadful ex, he guided me into the bathroom and started the bathwater where I proceeded to let my eyes fall shut and push away Taryn's voice.

For the first fifteen minutes, it was hard as hell, but now that my body is relaxed and my skin is smooth from the resort's lotion I happily lathered all over me, I'm focused again. And I plan to stay it.

Because Sutton needs me. Nothing is more obvious than that as I braid my hair over my shoulder and tighten the knot at my waist. These robes are to die for, the fabric the softest thing I've ever felt in my life.

I didn't even care that I had nothing underneath it as I ventured out into the living space of the villa. We decided to stay in tonight and gather our thoughts before diving head-first into all the doings in the morning. Rolling Hills' itinerary had therapeutic massages scheduled for our first full day on the island along with a gourmet dinner beachside at sunset.

And I was looking forward to it, especially after spending the day traveling and dealing with Taryn the troll. But I was also okay with laying low until then.

Sutton's laptop was open as I walked into the room. He didn't bother closing it, but his eyes met mine for a second before his focus went right back to his work.

I made my way over to him slowly, pausing briefly as I passed the balcony doors to see the sun beginning to dip in the sky. Everything about this place was stunning. Everywhere you looked was picture perfect. As if you'd see the exact image plastered to someone's Pinterest board or on a traveling influencer's social feed.

"Thought you were supposed to leave work on the plane?" I tiptoed closer, running my finger over the opposite side of the tabletop. It was big enough to accommodate a party of ten. Four chairs on either side and one on each end.

Sutton seemed as if he owned the head of the table. He looked even better when he pulled his hands from the keyboard and rested back in the chair, his gaze cast on me in way that warmed me better than the bath water he ran me.

"I was finishing up."

I lifted a brow, my finger steepled on the table as I stayed where I was. His eyes dropped to the robe covering my body. "Just finishing up?" I asked. "Or working on something that you told your brothers they could handle?"

"I told them I'd work less. I didn't say I wouldn't work at all."

"Is that how you're twisting it?"

"Not twisting anything."

I watched him, eagerly waiting for him to close the screen. When he didn't, a daring thought popped into my head. The second after, the nerves came. I pushed myself to ask anyway because I was a different Gracie on this trip. One that wasn't embarrassed to ask for what she wanted or at least share what she needed.

I dropped my gaze to my finger sweeping back and forth on the table. I think a part of me was expecting to push up dust, but the place was spotless. Still, I pretended like there was something there to help me through. "I know I mentioned about taking things at a slower pace, but I was wondering..."

"What were you wondering?"

"I..." Hesitancy swirled around me, attempting to drag me down.

The smack of him shutting his laptop caught my attention, drawing my eyes back to him. He had one elbow propped on his chair, his index and thumb propped on his chin. His eyes grazed down my figure again, but he pressed me for what I was going to say. "Gracie."