chapter twenty six

026yesterdayseason two, episode eighteen !

026
yesterday
season two, episode eighteen !

Marnie Walker wasn't afraid of death. Dying? That terrified her. The thought of having to feel your heart stop beating was something she'd never fully understand. But when it was over, she'd be at peace, and maybe even be able to see her mother one last time.

So, Marnie was afraid of dying, but she wasn't afraid of death.

When she found out there was a bomb inside her patient's body cavity, she thought she was going to die.

And when the bomb went off, she knew.

"Good Morning, Dr. Bailey!" Izzie cooed, increasing her pace as her and the rest of the interns trudged down the hospital corridor, beaming as they approached their resident, showing off her newborn child. "Hi, baby!"

The 5ft woman grinned from ear to ear as she cradled her son. "Are the OR's up and running?" She asked, turning to the rest of the interns.

"Yep. Fully functional." Cristina nodded with a small, tight lipped simper. "But there is some smoke damage."

Bailey nodded her head, glancing over at the Grey woman. "How about you? Are you fully functional?"

"I'm fine." Meredith confirmed, despite sporting a rather nasty gash on her forehead.

Their resident continued to nod, her face faltering before she paused and spoke again. "And Marnie?"

The group fell silent, exchanging solemn glances between one another. George swallowed the lump in his throat, simply shaking his head at her.

"How's your husband?" Meredith asked, in an attempt to change the subject, ignoring the new,  eerie atmosphere that had filled the room.

"Takin' him home tomorrow." Bailey cooed, the smile returning to her face as she gazed down at little Tuck. "Yes, we are. Yes, we are!"

The interns began to join in with the baby talk, only to receive a quick scolding from their superior.

"Okay, this is not a tea party. Go! Work! Save some lives!"

They did as they were told, pulling themselves away from the baby and collectively scurrying off down the corridor.

"Stop." Dr. Bailey suddenly ordered, causing them all to halt and pivot around. She furrowed her brow, pointing her forefinger as she subconsciously counted the four of them. "Where's Karev?"