chapter forty two

042don't stand so close to meseason three, episode ten !

042
don't stand so close to me
season three, episode ten !

"Happy Birthday!" Marnie exclaimed, zipping up her jacket as she approached her stepbrother in the Seattle Grace car park.

The man in question, who was grabbing his things out of his car, almost jumped right out of his skin at the sound of her voice. "Jesus, Marnie," He breathed, narrowly avoiding hitting his head on the roof as he got out, clutching his chest. "You almost gave me a heart attack."

The blonde seemed unfazed and almost amused by his reaction, merely pulling an envelope out of her handbag and holding it out in front of her, "I got you a card." She grinned.

Jake let out a shaky breath as he got over his initial shock, a genuine smile creeping onto his face as she handed him the envelope, "Aw, thanks, Marn." When he opened it up and saw what was written on the card, however, his expression faltered. "'Happy Birthday Grandpa?'" He read, giving his little sister an irked look.

"Well, you are 30 now."

He nodded his head, struggling to hide his smirk, "Very funny."

"You're very welcome." She beamed, throwing her handbag back over her shoulder. "So, are we still on for dinner tonight?"

He was quick to nod whilst he shut his car door, "Of course. I'm picking you up at six, right?"

"That's right." Marnie nodded, turning around to walk into the hospital. After a moment, though, she turned back around, pointing her finger at the brunette, "And wear something nice! I love you!"

Jake could only chuckle, "I love you, too."

The tension in the interns locker room that morning could have been cut straight through with a knife following the fallout of what Cristina and Burke had done. Now, Marnie wasn't one for picking sides, she hated it in fact, but this time it felt like a no brainer.

Cristina was prepared to endanger Mr O'Malley's life, and to Marnie, that was inexcusable.

"Maybe she'll be on the 'look, don't touch' patrol." Izzie pondered as she put on her sneakers. "At least then I'd have some company."

Alex shrugged his shoulders, putting on his lab coat, "Well, whatever she gets I hope it's bad. Really bad."

The Grey woman rolled her eyes at his comment, letting out a small sigh. "She made a mistake. We've all—"