༻ 16

i keep on trying to let you go
i'm dying to let you know
how i'm getting on

The dressing room was bustling with excitement as makeup artists and stylists hurriedly worked their magic on her. The air was filled with the hum of hairdryers and the chatter of her entourage, all focused on perfecting her look for the big night.

SMCU Palace.

As Aruna sat patiently in the makeup chair, her eyes closed as her makeup artist delicately brushed eyeshadow onto her lids, she felt the familiar sensation of anticipation building within her.

She couldn't help but smile, imagining the electrifying energy of the crowd and the adrenaline rush she would experience once she stepped onto the stage.

Just then, the door to her dressing room burst open, and in rushed Eliana, Aruna's usually composed and unflappable member. She appeared disheveled and genuinely panicked, a rare sight indeed.

Her normally immaculate appearance was disheveled, with strands of her usually perfectly styled hair escaping from their pins. Her tailored outfit, a symbol of her professionalism, seemed hastily put together, with a few buttons misaligned and her tie askew. She had always been the epitome of composure, the calm anchor in the storm of Aruna's fast-paced life, but today, that veneer had cracked.

Her eyes, usually cool and collected, were wide with concern, and she appeared out of breath as if she had rushed through the venue to reach Aruna's side. The usual air of efficiency that surrounded Eliana had been replaced by an air of unease, and it was a stark contrast to her usual demeanour.

Aruna's eyes snapped open, and she turned to face her friend, her heart pounding with sudden worry.

Eliana's voice trembled slightly as she spoke, an unusual occurrence for someone who typically exuded confidence. "Aruna," she began, her words coming out in hurried fragments, "your parents are here."

Aruna's heart skipped a beat.

Her parents actually accepted her invitation? They never did.

Especially ones as grand as the SM Town event. It was not that they didn't support her; they simply preferred to stay behind the scenes and let her shine on her own. That's what she believed anyways.

Their presence at this particular concert was unexpected and, given Eliana's reaction, evidently not a casual visit.

Aruna's mind raced with questions and scenarios, her makeup momentarily forgotten. "Are they okay? What happened?" she asked, a sense of dread creeping into her voice. There was no way they were just here for her. Could they?

Eliana nodded quickly. "They're fine. I don't really know why they're here but they're waiting backstage."

Aruna's anxiety deepened, but she knew she had to remain calm and composed, at least until she had more information. She nodded in acknowledgment. "Alright, I'll go see them. Please, Eli, keep me updated if anything changes."

Eliana nodded back, her panic subsiding slightly now that Aruna was taking control of the situation. "Of course, I'll let you know if anything comes up. Just go and talk to them. And remember...they're not the same people you knew when you were a child."

What is that supposed to mean?

As Aruna rose from the makeup chair, her mind was filled with a whirlwind of thoughts. She took a deep breath, trying to steady herself before she headed out to meet her parents.

The SM Town concert was moments away, but her family had come with news that clearly couldn't wait. She hoped for the best but couldn't shake the unease that had settled in her heart.