Fight or Die

This is the chapter that inspired this entire story. Months ago I had a dream and the events and feelings in this chapter is what I really dreamed. So enjoy!

- Moon

I sat nervously in a cold ice chair in the middle of the Ice palace.

Qibli sat beside me tapping his foot anxiously. Queen Snowfall was going to tell us who fights and who dies.

The moment I have been terrified of my entire life. It has unfortunately arrived.

Queen Snowfall emerged from somewhere and stood in the middle of the room.

"Greetings, initiates. Today as many of you are very aware of, is the final day of your inutiate training. Today you will be informed of your progress and decided to stay or leave." Snowfall declared.

I took in a sharp breath.

"Alright. Lets begin."

Snowfall slowly started to read off names. The way she did it creates suspense. She calls your name then tells you if you die or not so no one can do process of elimination.

I bit my lip. Something warm took my hand. I looked to my right and saw Qibli holding my hand.

Something about this small gesture was just so perfect. Like no matter anything that could happen I would always have this. I would always have somebody to hold my hand.

And he would as well. I adjusted my hand so we had our hands clasped together now. He looked at me this time.

I gave him a weak smile. He returned it.

If I do die. This isn't the worst way to go out.

I started to pag attention to the names she called. "Glory-Fight, Deathbringer-Fight." I let out a sigh of relief.

Deathbringer is staying. "Ostrich-Die, Pineapple-Die." it was Qibli's turn to react. Ostrich was one of his childhood friends.

I squeezed his hand tighter. He did as well.

"Now our last group, Kinkajou-Fight." It was out turn.

It felt as if my whole life I have been traveling down a road and now I'm at the end. I traveled this road for a prize, but my prize is a puzzle. And I can't solve it.

"Qibli," she spoke his name so quickly it caught me off guard.

I closed my eyes and buried my head in his chest.

"Fight."

My eyes immediately snapped open to look at him. The relief that was on his face was overwhelming.

"Moonwatcher," Snowfall looked at me as she said my name.

"Fight."

And then, in this very moment. After eighteen years, I solved the puzzle. And the gift of life was given to me.

I felt warm lips on the top if my head, but I was too caught up in shock to barely register it.

"You did it Moon. You're staying. We are staying." Qibli breathed. It finally all kicked in.

I looked around to see nearly everyone in the room crying either happy tears or sad ones.

I felt a warm substance fall from my eyes. Tears of joy. Because I don't have to die. And neither does Qibli.

I tiltled my head to look at Qibli. "I'm not dying. You aren't dying. We are staying alive." I breathed. He nodded.

I leaned my head forward and layed it against his neck. His arms wrapped around me in bliss.

Bliss. A pretty good word for this feeling. Except this feeling was 1000x better than bliss. Something beyond bliss and relief.

In that moment I also realized it was strangely quiet. No one's thoughts barged into my head. I focused on Qibli's thoughts.

They were just waves of emotions and pictures. No real sentences.

Qibli pictured going home to Queen Thorn and Princess Sunny and telling them that he is alive. Pictured being with me longer now that he isn't going to die.

He felt like he had lost me to the Skywings for years and years and now he can finally hold me again.

I closed my eyes and tried to tune him out again. It worked.

"Winter, our final initiate." Snowfall said. I forgot about him.

"Die."

The whole room was shocked. The Icewing prince is being killed? How is that possible?

Winter looked at me. My eyes were wide with disbelief. And maybe a little bit of pity. I really don't like Winter, but I don't want him to die. I don't think he should die.

I focused on Winter's thoughts.

I was startled by the wave of emotions coming from him.

Despair, sadness, agony, fear, panic, hopeless, grief, and regret. He regretted me.

Wait me?

Winter regretted not being the Qibli that I wanted. He loves me. So much passion in his love for me. No where near Qibli's though.

He wants me. All he wants is to live and to be with me. And now he gets neither.

I even felt a little guilty. But I wasn't about to break up with Qibli so Winter could have his dying wish.

I unfocused from Winter and everything was silent again. I finally had control over my strange ability.

I looked at Qibli. He had a hard expression on. I figured he felt similar to me.

I wrapped my small arm around Qibli's arm. He looked down at me. "Qibli." I squeaked. He raised his eyebrows.

"I love you." I whispered. He smiled softly at me. "I love you too Moon. Everything is going to be ok now." he soothed. There was no need to soothe. I had everything I wanted right now.

Like Winter I only want two things. My life and Qibli. Unlike Winter I have all I want. And he has none of it.

I turned my head and rested it on Qibli's chest. Later we will celebrate. But for now I just need a minute of shock.

Ok, so a very short chapter I know, but it wasn't a long dream. Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter as much as I enjoyed the dream. Have a good day. 1003 words.

<3