No Matter The Cost

The next destination was Yunkai, Davion was traveling on horseback with Ser Barriston and Ser Jorah.

"It was a bitch of a siege." Jonah said.

"Mmmm, you were first through the breach at Pyke?" Ser Barriston asked.

"The second," Jorah corrected. "Thoros of Myr went in alone, waving that flaming sword of his."

Ser Barriston chuckled. "Thoros of Myr. Bloody madman, Robert knighted you after the battle?"

"I remember," Davion said. "I was nine years old; I sat on my fathers lap while he sat in the throne."

"Proudest moment of my life," Jorah stated. "One knee on the floor , the King's sword on on my shoulder, listening to the words, 'in the name of the Warrior, I charge you to be brave. All I could think of was how badly I had to piss." Barriston and Davion chuckled. "In full plate metal for sixteen hours. Never occurred to me till the fighting was over, and I was very nearly the first man knighted to piss on the King's boots."

"My father would've laughed, he might have even named you his personal drinking friend." Davion said.

"He was a good man, a great warrior," Ser Barriston sighed. "But a terrible king, forgive me, Davion."

"No forgiveness necessary, he was a terrible king, but a good father; well to me anyway." Davion said.

"You swore an oath." Jorah said.

"Yes, and a man of honor keeps his oath," Davion pointed out. "Even if his serving a drunk or a lunatic." Jorah was worried that Davion knew that he was spying on Daenerys before, if he mentioned it to her, she would never forgive him. The former crown prince walked away with his horse and joined Daenerys.

"Just once in my life, before it's over, I want to know what it's like to serve with pride," Ser Barriston said and Jorah didn't miss it when the old knight looked at Davion. "To fight for someone I believe in."

"Do you believe in her?" Jorah asked.

"I believe in both of them." Ser Barriston said looking at Davion and Daenerys.

Davion approached the queen. "Your Grace." He bowed.

"I said Daenerys is fine." She snapped at him.

"Forgive me, Daenerys," He apologized. "I assumed that you only meant this when in private."

"I'm sorry, Davion I just...I don't trust you." She admitted.

"I don't blame you," He said. "I wouldn't trust me either, my family had committed atrocities against yours, but it was also your family that has committed them against the realm. I cannot take back what my family has done, nor can I change how you feel about me. All I ask is that you do not compare me to them because of my name or blood."

Daenerys looked at the man in front of her, she found him handsome, and he was taller than her standing at six feet and three inches. He had a heavy stubble beard and his long hair was cut short, by the order of the masters, but Ser Barriston told her about how his hair was long, it reached to his shoulders.

"I'm sorry, for comparing you to them," She apologized. "Was there something that you needed from me?"

"I just wish to know what are you plans once you free all the slaves." He said.

"I will take back my fathers throne, such is my birthright." She said.

"You never wanted more?" Davion asked her and this surprised Daenerys.

"I never thought of more after I lost my husband and child."

"Forgive me." He apologized.

"It's alright," She assured him. "What do you want after everything?"