Chapter 3: The Gambit

——————————🐍——————————

"I understand your moral objections to what the TVA does. And my methods are deceptive." Kang admitted. "But the mission, never was. Without the me, without the TVA...everything burns."

"Then what are you so afraid of?" Loki asked him.

Kang fidgeted with his cloak for a second before shrugging lightly. "Me."

"And just who are you?" Sylvie wondered.

"Oh, I've been dubbed many names by many people. A ruler, a conqueror. He Who Remains, a jerk. But it's...it's not as simple as a name." Kang messed with a bracelet that was on his wrist, and flicked what looked like a piece of goo into his desk.

"Eons ago, before the TVA, a variant of myself lived on Earth in the 31st century." The liquid substance molded and formed into a small figure of Kang dressed as a scientist. "He was a scientist, and he discovered that there were universes stacked on top of his own."

More liquid appeared, and formed several galaxies stacked on top of one another.

"At the same time, other versions of us were learning the same thing. Naturally, the made contact. And for a while, there was peace."

An image of one Kang walking through a door to greet another Kang appeared.

"Narcissistic, self-congratulatory peace. 'I love your shoes.' 'I love your hair.' 'Oh man, nice nose.' 'Thanks man.' Etc. They shared technology, knowledge. Using the best of their universes to improve the others. However, not every version of me was so...so pure of heart."

The image changed to Kang holding the Earthin the palm of his hand, looking like a conqueror.

"To some of us, new universes only meant one thing. New lands to be conquered. The peace between realities, erupted into all-out war, each variant fighting to preserve their universe and annihilate the others."

Several Kang's holding pruning sticks were seen battling each other, fighting to keep their universe safe, or to conquer others.

"This was almost the end, ladies and gentlemen, of everything and everyone."

"And then the Time Keepers came along and saved us all." Sylvie added sarcastically.

Kang clapped his hands together. "Amen...No. No. Nope, this is where we diverge from the dogma. That first Variant encountered a creature. Created by all the tears in reality, capable of consuming time and space itself. A creature, you all know."

"Alioth." Loki answered.

"Bingo!" The liqid changed form
To show Kang standing in front of Alioth. "I harnessed the beast's power and began experimenting on it. I weaponized Alioth, and I ended...I ended the Multiversal War."

The figure changed to Kang standing in the middle of a large ring.

"Once I isolated our timeline, all I had to do was manage the flow of time, and prevent any further branches. Hence, the TVA. Hence, the Time-Keepers and a highly efficient bureaucracy. Hence, ages and ages of cosmic harmony. Hence, you're welcome." Kang smiled.

He tapped his bracelet and the image disappeared. "You came to kill the devil, right? Well guess what? I keep you safe. And if you think I'm evil, well, just wait till you meet my Variants."

Loki, (Y/n), and Sylvie exchanged looks.

"And that's the gambit. Stifling order or cataclysmic chaos." Kang concluded. "You May hate the dictator, but something...far worse is gonna fill that void if you dispose of him. I've lives a million lifetimes. I've gone through every scenario. This is the only way. The TVA, it works."

"Or...you're a liar." Sylvie accused.

Kang rested his elbow on his desk and out his head in his hand. "Or I'm a liar."

"So you would just...continue to prune innocent timelines?" Loki asked.

Kang shook his head. "Mm-mmm. You three would."

They all furrowed their brows, and glanced at each other.

"What?" (Y/n) said.

"There's two options! One...you kill me and destroy all this, so you don't just have one devil, you have an infinite amount. Or...you guys. You guys run the thing."

"You're lying." Loki accused. "Why would you give up being in control?"

Kang sighed. "Buddy...I'm tired. And I'm older. I'm older than I look. This game is for the young. The hungry. I've gone through a lot of scenarios, trying to find the right person to take this spot. And it turns out, that person was three people. The two Lokis, and a (Y/n). But it's definitely you three."

"So, you kill me and the Sacred Timeline is completely exposed. Multiversal War. Or you guys take over and return to the TVA as it's benevolent rulers. Tell the workforce who they are and why they do what they do." He offered.

Sylvie glared at him. "You treated people's lives like some kind of game."

Kang shook his head. "It's not personal. It's practical."

"It was personal to me." She told him.

Kang groaned. "Grow up! Grow up, Sylvie! Murderer! Hypocrite! We've all done horrible, terrible, horrific things. But now, we, you, have a chance to do them for a good reason."

In the distance, some rumbling noises were heard. Kang paused and looked around, seeming to be deep in thought.

He exhaled deeply. "We just crossed...the threshold." He announced. "So...I fibbed. I fibbed earlier when I said I know how everything's going to go. I know...I knew...everything up to a certain point, and that point was about...seven, eight, nine, ten seconds ago."

Outside the window, behind his desk, several branches started to form from the one main timeline.

"But now, I have no idea how the rest of this is going to go. I'm being candid." Kang said.

"So that's it? That's it? This is what happens at the End of Time? And now you're just going to sit there with all that freedom and...let us decide your fate?" Loki asked in disbelief.

"Yes! Yes! Yes! What's the worst that can happen? You either, take over and my life's work continues or you plunge a blade in my chest and an infinite amount of me start another Multiversal War. And I just...end up right back here anyways." He explained. "Reincarnation baby."

Sylvie shook her head. "No, it's just another lie. Another manipulation."

"Oh...no, no, no." Kang denied. "No lie. No manipulation."

He took of his bracelet and set it down on the table in front of them, and pushed it towards the trio.

He smiled. "Wow...I love this. I love...all this honesty...Feels like a fresh start."

——————————🐍——————————