Chapter 2: A Scaling Problem

——————————🐍——————————

Centuries later...

"This is gonna make total sense." Loki declared as he walked into the Loom's control room carrying the Multiplier.

(Y/n) was right by his side, and everyone was rushing behind them, trying to keep up and looking confused about how much they seemed to know.

"Loki, (Y/n), I'm not questioning your surprisingly advanced engineering skills, but maybe O.B. should test that thing first?" Casey suggested.

"Testing protocol is key to safe scientific advancement." O.B. agreed.

"It's perfect." Loki insisted. "Timely, need you this way. We have to scan your Temporal Aura in this fine machine."

Loki led Timely to the Temporal Aura scanner while (Y/n) waited by the computers.

"Is that..."

"Now, it looks lethal. It is absolutely safe." Loki demonstrated by sticking his own head inside. "Your turn."

Timely was a bit hesitant, but stuck his head inside the machine.

"Welcome, He Who Remains."

Loki looked up at (Y/n) and sent her a wink.

"Can I come out?"

Loki helped Timely out. "And you're still here." He commented.

"Uh, guys, it's worse than I thought." O.B. announced, seeing how backed up the Loom was. "We have to move fast. Who's it gonna be?"

Loki placed a hand on Timely's shoulder. "It's you. You volunteer. Here's the plan. Get in, get suited up. When those doors open, get down the gangway as fast as you can. Load the Mulitplier, hit the green button, launch it, and get back. By the way, remember, tape your right thumb, left knee and face plate or the Temporal Radiation will peel your skin off. Watch the first step, trip hazard. One more thing. Do not set the Multiplier down or it will roll off the gangway. Okay? Don't forget. Be brave."

Timely nodded. "Time to be brave." He told himself as he descended the stairs.

"Okay, Casey. We need to widen the voltage input and invert the temporal decay." (Y/n) ordered.

"What about the ion decoupler?" O.B. wondered.

"The decoupler is fine. Route it with the primary compartment." She said.

"Won't it overheat?" Casey asked.

"No. Not if we allow it to interface with Timely's adaptive exponential computing system. With all those upgrades it will allow the Loom to scale the capacity to manage the branches. The rings are too small. We gotta make them bigger." (Y/n) explained.

Loki handed the Multiplier to Casey. "Get this down to Timely as fast as you can."

As Casey left, Loki leaned towards (Y/n). "I know we're in a rush and everything, but I must tell you how attractive you are when you talk science." He complimented, winking at her.