Chapter 3: The Cause

——————————🐍——————————

"Who's she? What does she want with Sylvie?" Loki asked as Mobius lead him and (Y/n) out of the room.

"General Dox. Don't worry. Are you two okay? What harmed with the cloud monster?" Mobius questioned.

"Alioth? Alioth was a distraction. He was a guard dog. We found him. A Citadel at the End of Time." Loki explained.

"But where's Sylvie?"

(Y/n) shrugged. "We don't know. She could still be there."

Loki let out a large sigh and started rubbing his temples. "I just wanted time to think. It was an impossible choice, but she seemed so certain. How could she be given the consequences? I just wanted time to think!" He rambled.

The three of them stopped at the end of the hall in a small alcove that had pictures of the Time Keepers.

Mobius put his hand up in a calming gesture. "You wanted time to think, so, let's think."

Loki took some deep breaths. "Mobius, we got to the man at the End of Time, and he made sense. We thought it was about freeing the Timeline, but that brings only more malevolence, more violence, more war. More of him. They're coming. They're all coming."

Mobius still looked very confused. "Who?"

"'You came to kill the devil' Maybe he was..." Loki whispered to himself. "Maybe he wasn't. She was convinced he was. Me and Sylvie fought, Mobius, and she kicked us through a Time Door."

"Well, I'd ask who won, but..."

"It was a draw." Loki deadpanned.

"You both kicked each other through Time Doors simultaneously?" Mobius asked.

(Y/n) shook her head. "No, it wasn't a draw. She kicked his ass."

Loki lifted a finger up. "Hey, I was actively trying not to fight her. I was trying to stop her. She was going to kill him."

Mobius shook his head and grabbed Loki's shoulder. "Okay, okay, okay. Look, Renslayer kicked me down some steps too. Listen, just calm down."

"I wish I had tried harder, I wish I'd had more time." Loki repeated.

"Coulda, woulda, shoulda, let's just focus on what we know." Mobius suggested.

Loki pointed to a wall that had a mural of the Multiversal War. "That. That is what we know. War. And it's on the way. Maybe it's true, everything he was doing, the pruning, the preservation of the Sacred Timeline. It was about preventing more of him. There was no simple choice, there was no other way."

"That's who you showed us in there?" Mobius asked.

"He Who Remains." (Y/n) confirmed. "He created all of this. Said it was to protect us and keep us safe, but I don't know if that's even the truth."

Mobius furrowed his brows. "How could I not remember that? How could he..."

"We think he wiped everyone's memories of him and created that bullshit story about the Time Keeping Space Lizards." (Y/n) said with a roll of her eyes.