Chapter 5: Rewriting the Story

——————————🐍——————————

Sylvie exited the McDonalds restaurant and walked towards her truck. She set her drink and a bag of food on the back as she pulled out her keys and went to unlock her door.

She glanced up and furrowed her brows, seeing that her food was no longer where she put it. However, she didn't have much time to focus on that because an orange door opened up behind her and she turned to see (Y/n) and Loki standing in the parking lot.

"This is gonna sound strange." Loki began. "I know you don't know who we are..."

"Loki, of course I know who you both are." Sylvie replied in an obvious tone.

Loki furrowed his brows. "What? You do?"

"Oh, great. That's gonna make this way easier." (Y/n) commented.

"Why wouldn't I know who you guys are?" Sylvie asked.

"Because no one else did. Their lives were reset after the..."

"Yeah, I know. I was there."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Loki apologized. "This is not how I thought the scene was gonna play out."

"Loki—." (Y/n) saw that he was getting nervous and went to place a comforting hand on his, but that caused them to glitch slightly and look like their bodies were being pulled apart.

Sylvie's eyes widened at what she just saw and gestured to her truck. "Okay, get in the car. I'm buying you two a drink."

Loki and (Y/n) glanced at each other. "Okay."

...

Once they arrived at the bar, Loki and (Y/n) told Sylvie everything about what they had just been through and what had happened to their friends.

"And that's everything." (Y/n) finished. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to use the bathroom."

Loki and Sylvie watched her walk away before continuing their conversation.

"Okay, so they're finally back in their real lives. That's a good thing." Sylvie turned to the bartender. "Eric, can we get a drink?"

"But, how many, given the choice, would've chosen to stay?" Loki pointed out. "Mobius always said the TVA was the only life he's ever known, and he liked it. It gave him purpose."

"It was never his choice to begin with, Loki." Sylvie argued. "He Who Remains did that."

"But he should have a choice now, no? Shouldn't they all? To return to the TVA if they want."

"No, you would be ripping people from their lives, showing them something they cannot unsee. What kind of choice is that?"

"But they didn't get a choice in this, and I can't give it to them without you." Loki persisted.

Sylvie just gave him a shrug.

He looked at her incredulously. "You don't care? I guess not. I guess this all worked out just the way you wanted to and you're fine just walking away. It's so selfish."