SEVEN

➽───────❤︎₊ ⊹───────❥

──────────────

OSCAR would be lying if he said that he wasn't nervous. He's pretty level-headed most of the time, but after what he and Maia had bet on, he couldn't help but stress just a tad.

Though, the question is: why was he stressing so much in the first place? Because of a girl he once knew? Because of a stupid challenge he made in the heat of the moment? It was just a follow back, and she had responded to his message without one anyways, so what does it matter if he earns that simple click of a button or not?

Exactly. It doesn't matter, not even a little bit.

Maia's first words to him were a silly, playground level insult that they would have fought over relentlessly back when they were kids. And, not only that, but she pretended not to know who he was while taking an interview (which he totally did not watch all the way through last night before he went to sleep. It just popped up on his YouTube autoplay and he left it running, that's all.)

So, if Maia was going to be childish, he'll be the mature one in this little clash they were having, because you know what? He doesn't owe her a damn thing.

"Nice going, man," Logan congratulates, slapping Oscar on the shoulder from behind. "You should be proud of your moves out there."

Qualifiers have concluded for one last time this year. An engine rumble and a quick breeze later, and he suddenly had a top 3 finish in his hands. Now, he's preparing to start from P3 tomorrow.

If he could just move up above Charles during the race...

No, no. She was trying to get into his head, and she was succeeding. He couldn't let her do that, and especially not during the last race of the season. This final grand prix is so much more important than anything she could ever say or do, and he wasn't going to let her ruin this conclusion to his rookie season. He wanted to go out with a bang, not a swerve and a miss because of some girl who he may as well see as a stranger now.

Except, she wasn't a stranger at all. He isn't supposed to know a stranger's regular pick-ups at a gas station, or how to prepare that stranger's vision of 'the perfect tea.' He shouldn't know about a stranger's childhood obsession with dinosaurs or Animal Crossing: Wild World on the Nintendo DS—and he certainly wouldn't know that the stranger in question had a metallic, red DS covered in Minecraft stickers top to bottom.

In truth, Maia Hoang was no stranger to Oscar Piastri, and yet he will do everything in his power to convince himself that a stranger was exactly who she was.