TWENTY - EIGHT

➽───────❤︎₊ ⊹───────❥

──────────────
2008.
─────────

OSCAR was seven in 2008, and he didn't know a lot at the time, but what he did know was that he hated cats.

And at some point in late October, one had found its way into his backyard; and it was sat on his fence, staring at him with round eyes that looked like little black holes of death.

"Dad!" Oscar had screamed, stiff with his hands to his sides.

Oscar's dad came running down the stairs, worried from the tone of his voice.

"What happened?" He asked as he jogged to stand behind his son.

Little Oscar only pointed to the animal outside. "It's staring at me!"

"Oh, jeez," His dad wiped a hand on his forehead. "You scared me, kid."

"I'm the one that should be scared," Oscar complained. "It's staring at me, not you!"

Soon enough, another pair of footsteps had sounded from the stairs of the house.

"What's all this noise about?" His mom asked as she found her way to her husband's side.

The man gestured at the black blob sitting on their fence. "Some cat outside. It's freaking him out," He explained with a huff. "I thought he died or something with the way he screamed."

After hearing his mom laugh slightly at the information told, Oscar had started tugging at his dad's hand. "Can we get rid of it?" He pleaded quietly, but his dad didn't seem to hear his begging words.

His mom walked forward and opened the screen door to the backyard, looking at the cat safely from the inside of the house.

The cat was black, with big yellow eyes and a pink collar with some sort of heart-shaped tag hanging from it. Perched on their brick fence, the cat was thin, and slowly blinking at him.

Why was it doing that?

Did that mean it was going to kill him?

Why was it staring at Oscar so much?

He doesn't want to die because of a cat. That would be, like, the worst way to go.

"Oh, babe, I think it's Olivia and Liêm's cat," the woman sighed before stepping out into the backyard.

"It's gonna scratch you," Oscar mumbled, and his dad crouched down next to him with sympathy washing over his face.