THIRTEEN

➽───────❤︎₊ ⊹───────❥

──────────────

WHEN you walk past Room 215 in the Plaza Verde housing community of UCI, it's not unusual to hear a playlist filled to the brim with Taylor Swift and Metallica muffled through the door. The door in question is also bedazzled with stickers of all kinds, and one small whiteboard that says "@maiahoa_ng & @angiedelrey LIVE HERE!!" hanging from the middle of it.

Maia and Angela have been roommates since they started at the university, and it was only natural that they kept living together after that. Now, as 2nd years, instead of being crammed in a small, one room dorm, they leveled up to a small condo in Plaza Verde. But still, even so, they always found themselves doing homework in the same room, just like how they did in their freshman year.

Today, Maia's room was the chosen homework spot, as Maia works away at her desk while Angela has found refuge on her bed.

"For somebody who's supposedly 'perpetually angry' with him, you sure do like hanging around him," Angela points out as she chews her pen, eyes laser-focused on the psychology textbook in her lap. "I can't believe all of your teachers said 'yes' to letting you take your finals early."

"I am still angry with him," Maia says, fingers clacking away on her laptop with her own open textbook propped up against the wall. She wants to begin some of her notes for her next unit before she leaves for Baku—and also distract herself from the inevitable. "I just want to see what he has to say for himself. I mean, no way he's just gonna sit through the entire event with me by his side and not say a word about the last few years, right?"

"God, I feel like this is partially my doing," Angela sighs as she crawls over her school supplies to get out of Maia's bed. Her feet hit the carpeted floor underneath and she steps towards the desk, where her beloved roommate is sat, teetering on the edge of slouching. "Just make sure he doesn't do anything crazy, and say 'hi' to any Mercedes or McLaren people you see at the event for me," she rests her head on top of Maia's, closing her eyes as she speaks. "I'm so, completely delirious without any F1 to look forward to on the weekends..."

Maia retorts, typing in her last word of the day, "Just means you can sleep in more, doesn't it?" Her hands find their way off the keyboard and on to the top of her laptop, shutting it closed. The shorter then spins in her chair, forcing Angela off her head. "Do you think I'm making a mistake?"

"I think you're either a masochist, or a sadist," her roommate jabs, flopping back to sit on the bed that she had just left.

"Ha," Maia says flatly as she closes her textbook and stuffs it away into her backpack. "At least I'll be getting free food out of my poor decisions. Oh, and you'll be getting a hat signed by him too."