FORTY - FOUR

➽───────❤︎₊ ⊹───────❥

──────────────

WINE is arguably one of the worst alcohols out there, when accounting for the flavor, at least. To Maia, it never tasted right, was always bitter, and she would usually go for a mocktail over actual alcoholic drinks anyway; but her curiosity got the best of her, since it was her parents' favorite brand, and Oscar was willing to split the bottle too.

They both have barely drunk any of the liquid in their glasses though, not just because of the taste, but also because their conversations haven't been as bad as Maia expected them to be tonight.

"So, can I ask you a question?" Oscar asks, looking away from the television playing some movie that they haven't actually been paying attention to for the past hour or so.

The house has gone quiet, with her parents deciding to head to bed since being wine drunk after working a night shift the night before is a horrible mix. Maia and Oscar's voices were the only sounds filling the void, with the quiet noise of the TV a mere whisper compared to their words.

She lowers her wine glass and places it on the living room coffee table. "What is it?"

"How are you only in your second year of uni if you've been there for, what, four years?" He twirls the red liquid in his own glass. "I, I don't know, I was just thinking about it since Caroline is younger than the both of us, but she's graduating soon."

Maia hums fondly as she figures out what to say, memories of roadtripping with Angela and feeling what she could only describe as free flooding her brain.

And, over a snarky remark, she chooses to opt for the truth instead.

"I...took a gap year," She says. "And it turned into three gap years very quickly..."

To admit such a thing in front of her former schoolmate-academic-rival-childhood-best-friend was just a wicked act, and not in the good way; but Maia could care less with how funny Oscar looks when his eyes go wide.

As he nearly spills the wine on his shirt, he leans forward. "Seriously? You're kidding."

"No, yeah, me and Angela both..." Maia rolls her eyes and shakes her head. "It's a long story. I don't want to talk your ear off about it."

"No, tell me!" He insists. "I'm really curious about it."

It's unbelievable how he does this, really. He just lets her go on and on and on, as if her words actually have any meaning to him and it's so...