FORTY - NINE

➽───────❤︎₊ ⊹───────❥

➽──────────────❥

IT'S finally settling in that he's leaving in a few days, and the sparkling apple cider bubbling in her stomach is making it all the worse for Maia.

Her love for New Year's celebrations has diminished over the years, with her viewing it as just another day but filled with the sounds of popping confetti and horns and banging pots coming together when the clock strikes twelve. Sometimes, in all the ruckus, there's also the occasional sound of shaking wallets filled with coins, since her parents still liked to believe in superstitions and that sort of stuff.

There's four minutes left until the new year comes in.

2024.

It, sort of, doesn't sound real.

And, neither do the text tones coming from her phone, because she already knows who it is without looking at the messages.

oscar 🙄
hey!

oscar 🙄
how's your new years so far? ☺️

There's a pit in her stomach that forms when she sees the emoji, and she knows why she feels that way, but she wishes she didn't.

maia
good :)

maia
how's your's going??

The feeling that she gets whenever she's with Oscar is something of a ticking time bomb, and its fuse stops burning when she realizes how happy she feels—but continues on when she realizes how happy she feels.

Maybe it's because she hasn't felt such a thing in so long. Maybe it's because she still isn't quite sure if he plans on staying this time.

But, it could also be that she's just scared.

Because, Oscar has been putting in the work, and she knows that his actions are true with good intentions and all.

But, again, she's probably just scared.

How does her brain do that?

Why does her brain do that?

She thought it would have been over by now; the creeping and clawing feeling of doubt, and yet, here it remained—on New Year's Day, no less. A day meant to celebrate new beginnings and new experiences.