THIRTY - ONE

➽───────❤︎₊ ⊹───────❥

──────────────

"YOU just came back to me and now you're leaving me behind again," Angela whines, flopping over dramatically on the sofa. "Do you hate me? Be honest," she asks with a sigh.

Maia snorts as she turns a knob on the stove, extinguishing the fire under the big pot of canh chua she's made for dinner. "Aren't you visiting your family in Anaheim?" She asks as she brings out two bowls from one of the brown overhead cabinets in their small kitchenette. "You'll be fine without me, Angie. Plus, you have me for three more days still."

"I know," the woman sighs, sitting up on the black leather couch. "but it's about the vibe and the energy that you bring, babes."

Maia begins pouring some soup into the bowls. "No pineapple for you, right?"

"No thanks. I'll take the tomatoes from you though."

Maia pours the tomato slice from the broth into Angela's bowl gently, hoping for no spillage to make its way onto their countertops.

"I haven't been back to Australia in so long, I'm kind of nervous," she says as she places Angela's bowl on the high table behind her. "I don't know why."

Angela gets up from her place on the couch and sits down at one of the high chairs, pulling the bowl in front of her.

"Ooh, smells good," she compliments as she wafts the aroma into her face. "Are you gonna see Oscar again in Australia?" She takes ahold of her spoon and mixes the ingredients around.

Maia snorts as she places her own soup-filled dish on the counter, "Probably not. I've never seen him all of the other times I visit."

"Maybe this time it'll be different," Angela shrugs, blowing lightly on the sour soup. "You guys have been seeing a lot of each other recently," she sings before taking a small sip.

Maia hums as she blows on her own spoonful of broth, and Oscar's face flashes in her brain.

While it was a possibility, she doubts it could actually happen. She doesn't visit home as often as she wished she did, but whenever she does go back to Melbourne, she never sees him, just his parents out walking their dogs or unloading groceries in the driveway. She'll usually exchange a quick 'Hi' or 'Hello' with them, then be on her way.

Chances are slim that she would see him there, and she's sure he'd be busy if they did see each other anyway.

But if she did see him...