THIRTY - THREE

➽───────❤︎₊ ⊹───────❥

──────────────

"YOU'RE just angry because if I was an F1 driver, I'd be so much better than you," Maia states matter-of-factly over the phone, and Oscar laughs as he bounces the basketball he found in his family's garage off the concrete pavement.

"Doubt it. Remember when you kept crashing into the back of me while we went karting that one time?" He asks, dribbling the ball behind his back with ease.

"The real question is; what do you not remember about me and you as kids?" She questions, and Oscar can hear her fumbling with something through his headphones.

He runs up to the hoop he set up at the top of his driveway and tosses the ball, the net swishing as it passes through. "I don't know how to answer that one really," he says with a pant.

The Australia sun has been beating down on his face, making him sweat more than he would be without it.

As Oscar grabs the ball once more, he hears more clattering and movement from Maia's end, and he contemplates asking her what the ruckus is for.

The woman hums with thought over the noise. "Let's start with..." she begins, and the sounds come to a halt. "Do you remember how we met?"

Oscar holds the ball in his hands, the rubber material of the ball familiar on his fingers.

"Your weirdo cat, that's how," he jokes, and he begins to start passing the basketball from one hand to the other.

Maia gasps on the other end of the line, "My cat is not a weirdo, dickhead! You're so mean to her."

"It's deserved for how she stares at me."

"I've said it before, and I'll say it again; she just wants to be your friend." Maia's voice fills Oscar's wireless headphones, and he shakes his head despite her not even being there with him.

"Suki can be my friend when I'm on my deathbed."

"You're so odd. Like, actually."

More sounds of things getting moved around fill his ears, and he finally lets his curiosity take the reins.

Oscar walks over to his front door, and sits down on the small steps in front of it—the same steps he could recall sitting down on with Maia during the days where they still lived a walk away from each other.