FIFTY - FIVE

➽───────❤︎₊ ⊹───────❥

──────────────

OSCAR feels like he's flying.

It could easily have been because he just finished the first race of the season, but it's actually multiple things at once; especially the fact that he's finally gotten to his good ending. 

He had been hoping for it since that one night of January—a time that feels as if it were so, so long ago.

He and Maia are finally dating.

Okay, well, technically not; they're just...something, something that involves both of them agreeing their feelings are mutual. They're something that makes them both feel inclined to call whenever and wherever, and end those calls with fits of giggles and laughter. To video call when 'I just wanted to see you' is all the other can say for their reasoning behind calling up, or ending their texts with heart emojis and blushing emoticons.

They might not be official, but Oscar already feels like he's prepared to get married.

P8 was what he got during the race, which is already leagues better than where he and the team were at the start of last season, and to be honest, the car is...in need of some work, but, he can't even complain because he has such better things to worry about in comparison to a great car only turning out to be decent (and, anyway, he feels a podium coming up for him this year, he knows it!)

He's doing good, and his life is going good too.

Someone needs to pinch him as soon as possible.

There's no way this is all real and true, right?

Oscar leans back in the seat of the jet, Lando occupying the private bed area and snoring like there was no else on the plane but him. He's gotten used to his teammate's habit though, so he can't say he minds.

Then, he hears it; his phone vibrating against the table between him and the empty seat before him–a seat that was once filled by the same exact person who was calling him up.

He picks up the phone and presses 'accept' on the calling screen, and he's quick to sing, "Hello-o-o?"

Maia lets out a small laugh on the other end. "Hello to you, too. That race was amazing!"

"Ah, so you did watch," he pokes fun, looking out the window to see nothing but endless lines of clouds waving at him as they go by. "I could've done better, I think. The car isn't as amazing as we expected it to be, but we're better than last year."

"You'll make it work. Maiden wins can come early sometimes, right?" Maia says hopefully, and Oscar smiles as if she could see.

"Well, I'm hoping that's the case since I'm in a good mood as of late, might do good for my driving."