FORTY - SEVEN

➽───────❤︎₊ ⊹───────❥

➽──────────────❥

"LET me be clear about something," Maia states as she taps the 'Speaker' button on her phone. "Anything that I tell you today on this call is not true and completely fake in case anyone walks in on you."

"Bitch, I'm in our dorm room. Who would be walking in here out of nowhere?" Angela says on the other end of the call.

"Just making sure," The Australian huffs. She closes the door to her childhood room and sits down at her desk, the same desk that saw all of her frustration with school assignments and whatever was ailing her during her teenage years. "Okay, so—"

"Wait, is this about Oscar?" The psychology major asks almost immediately, a gasp swirled into her words. "There's no way, right?"

Apparently, yes, there was a way.

"Uh," Maia chuckles nervously, fumbling with the sleeves of her thin cardigan. "Yeah."

Angela shrieks, and Maia understands the excitement since she's been invested in Maia's journey with Oscar since day one, but what's she's about to tell her isn't anything revolutionary.

Her dad has—thankfully—toned down on the questions about Oscar and whatnot, and she and Oscar have also been pretty on point with talking to each other whenever they could. It was nice to, in a way, actually revert back to how things were before their little fallout.

But, then, when she and Oscar were calling while she was cooking her family brunch, she overheard something on his end that she hasn't been able to shake.

'Have you asked her on a real date yet?'

The words came from the lips of a half-awake Caroline, who had barged into Oscar's room asking for her lost water-bottle; and it rang in her ears for the rest of the day.

So, obviously she's going to tell Angela about that.

But, then there's another thing.

Maia shouldn't really be thinking about it too much if it didn't mean anything to her, so why is she thinking about it so hard?

And that's what she says to Angela on the call, through her small questions and gasps and laughs as she tells her story and her words. Maia can tell Angela is truly believing that something could happen with Oscar; but that just isn't the case because they can't work, and they shouldn't. Not in the way that she knows Angela is imagining, at least.