Chapter 1: The Lady

AUTHOR WORD: The first three chapters are mostly exposition with a sad, intense, and scary tone. Get past those and that's where you'll find the lighter comedic tone and all the hilarious glory that comes with it. Or just skip to chapter 4 if you don't want to read sad, intense, and scary. Abusive family warning here. Without further ado, enjoy:

༻✦༺

In the lavish, wallpapered hallways of the Baxarte estate, Tilda watched a spider crawling along its sparkling starlit web. Her mind flashed a memory of sparkling water, illuminated from the magic of divine powers. She had promised that everything was going to be okay. It was a promise she couldn't keep at the time. As she paused in the hallway, breathing in the cool night air mixed with the mild scent of rotting wood, she knew this time would be different. This time, she would save her.

Tilda was a simple maid; Tall, plain, brunette hair tied in a casual wispy bun. She wore the maid's outfit, a black frock with a white apron. In her hands she held a careful box filled with medicine.

It's been three years and it's only gotten worse, she thought.

That's when she heard the loud, shrewd voice of Lord Baxarte. It was coming from the room Tilda had claimed as her destination. Now she had to wait. She couldn't go in there with that monster still inside.

"You miserable worm!" Lord Baxarte shouted.

Tilda winced as she heard a BAM! A body falling to the ground. Tilda tried not to picture the victim, a frail girl with sunken eyes and pale bony skin. She tried not to visualize the frivolous, middle-aged tyrant raising his fist.

A girl screamed, "AHHHHHhhhh!"

BAM, BAM, BAM.

Tilda covered her mouth with her hand as she moved out of the hallway. Out of sight, she allowed the wall to support her. Her back slid down till she positioned herself into a crouch, trying to be smaller than she was. She couldn't do anything now. All she could do was hide and wait. She willed the torment to stop as pity came down her face in the form of tears.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Tilda heard the door open. She held her breath, pretending like she was invisible as the heavy footsteps of a fat man stomped off in the other direction.

Lord Baxerte gruffed, "Ungrateful swine."

Tilda waited till the footsteps had completely faded before she entered the hallway leading to the room of her destination.

As Tilda entered the room there she saw the lady, Cosaria Evangeline Baxarte. Bathed in moonlight, the girl was hauntingly beautiful, like a ghostly siren with long wavy golden hair. She was bruised all over and a slight trickle of blood oozed down one arm. Her magnificent sky blue eyes were dull and lifeless, as if they were overlaid with murky glass.

Tilda moved to Cosaria's side and opened the medicine box.

"This should help soothe the pain," Tilda said as she began applying ointment to Cosaria's arm.

"Thank you."

Cosaria's words rang out like the echo of branches snapping in the wind.

Tilda dropped the medicine box and wrapped Cosaria into a hug. Cosaria flashed signs of life. Her frail little arms moved to Tilda. She clung to her, her fingers digging into Tilda's skin. Cosaria began to sob.

"I promise, I'll take care of you," Tilda said.

༻✦༺

Thanks for reading!

- CopperTopHero

PRONUNCIATIONS:  

Cosaria: Coh-sAr-ria

Tilda: Til-da

Baxarte: Bax-ar-te

Arquix: Ar-quix

Updates Weekly, on Thursdays.